Close But No Cigar....

chris27

Well after 12 months of building I had the privalage of visiting gosforth in Newcastle for my SVA.

This was my second appointment for my first test as the prop shaft brock on the first attempt :angry:

Fail points where as follows

1. needed a few standard nuts replacing with nylocks

2. a little bit of tidying up on the wiring

3. the fuel return hose was not marked as "fuel hose"

4. nuts on front shocks not radiused

5. the front indicators where 2cm too low

6. the side repeaters supplied from RHE where not radiused

7. the rear wheel arches needed to be extended at the front to cover the tyre

8. the tunnel top mounted handbrake was too far back

9. the passenger mirror was obstructed by the windscreen pillar

10 . the old noise test came in at 106 Db at 4200 rpm

All in all the examiner was a realy good bloke . he explained everything he was doing and was very helpfull in how to fix the bits that he had failed.

all in all I was quite pleased with the result and all being well I'll have them sorted in a few weeks .....

the only one that bothers me is the noise test. i know I'll have to repack the silencer , shove some metal scrub buds up the exaust with the y shaped piece inserted .... the only thing is I can't retest the noise levels without a noise metre

Any one in the north east got one I can lend in a few weeks time????

A big thanks goes out to several members who have spent time helping me with bits and bobs including Ken from Newcastle , Bob and his son from Spenymoor and Kevin from Darlo

cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

Well done on your fail and just a few niggles to sort out, did they check the noise at 3,500 RPM? did you have the RH noise reducer in the pipe?

Hi Guy

before the examiner did the test he told me that he had never passed a mild steel exaust first time.

He then asked me to rev up to 4200 rpm!!!!

I didn't use the noise reducer however I will be re-packing the silencer and using it on the re-test

cheers

Chris

Guest graham dockerill
^_^ Not too bad Chris, but item 8 where have you got it, is it in the boot area. Mine is as far back as possible on the tunnel with only the handle sticking out between the seats and that passed with no problems. Item 9, you don't need a passenger mirror if your interior mirror will see the areas at the nearside rear which are in the test. Best of luck in the retest.

Sorry Chris my mestake, the 2L efi Pinto produces max power at 5,400 RPM, the test is carried out at 3/4 of this which in my case was 4,050 RPM ( I had to hold it around 4K).

I also have the mild steel exhaust (which is bending :o but that's another issue) and my test was done at 4,000 RPM, I had the star thing shoved up the tail pipe, all passed.

Hi graham

I've fitted cobra monaco seats so the drivers mirror is almost redundant due to the height of the seat backs.....

as for the handbrake ... I don't personaly have a problem but the nice man from the sva wants it moved so I'll have to move it

cheers

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
Guest peter2b2002

Hi, my 2b failed on the exhaust as well @109bd with the 3 leggedthing up the tail pipe ,i fitted an after market pipe with a nice big radius on the end, rivited the 3 leg thing into it then put 2 stainless pan scrubbers up the pipe and put a bolt througe the whole lot to hold it on,at the test my taco packed in so they used thiers when my engine started to splutter due to the rev limitter cutting(6000rpm ish) in they said thier taco was not reading right even then i was reading below 101bd, on the hand brake they said it makes a nice arm rest!!

pete2b

Hi Pete

thanks for the advice

I have done allsorts to my exaust including adding baffle plates and the scrub buds and funny y shaped thingy...

the moment of truth will come on Friday afternoon when it gets re-tested...

heres hoping!!!!

cheers

Chris