Ouch

Guest neil gale

Sorry ant, round spherical objects! if the oil pump actually locked up, it would just twist the drive and snap it.

I'm not saying its locked up - just that it's under far more load than it should be.

Anyhow, t'is not worth an argument. hopefully the problem will be found soon enough.

Ant

Guest Battery Bill
I'm not saying its locked up - just that it's under far more load than it should be.

I'm with Jim on this one :rolleyes: Even if a oil pump is siezed up it would not effect the cranking of the engine, this is two seperate problems :wacko:

Guest neil gale

Thanks a lot guys, i think we may have arrived at a solution.

My money is on the timing being a bit :( out, as the engine does not seem to be running very smoothly!!!!

It fits with the cranking issue, and why it is fine sometimes and not others, as the battery and wiring is fine i checked it last nite.

Time for a trip to the tuning shop to get it sorted!

• 1 month later...
Guest neil gale

Ok, not so sorted, filter number two burst on me yesterday morning!!! :o :o :o

Now call me sceptical, but the chances of one oil filter bursting is slim, so to bust two means there must be an oil pressure problem.

The slow cranking i experienced before is sorted, the timing was out. This must mean as Jim said that its the oil pressure relief valve??

I have done around 800 miles with no problems since the last one burst, including a trip to harrogate, it only seems to be a pressure build up on start up, not whilst running??

Do i just bite the bullet and change the oil pump??

The only way you could burst the oil filter is to have far too much pressure in it, which implies that the pump was pumping but the oil couldn't get out

I reckon that theory still stands. It's good that you've sorted the slow cranking though as that was confusing the issue. I don't think it's a blocked oil way any more because if it was you wouldn't have done 800 trouble free miles. I definitely agree with you and Jim that it must be a stuck pressure relief valve.

Is that part of the pump or a separate item to it? Can you buy pump referbishment kits for pintos?

Ant

Guest chris brown

I would recommend replacing the pump as it sounds as others have said the relief valve is sticking; this may be due to wear in the pump casting. There are various options for replacement pumps but no doubt someone will advise on the best way to go (enter Big Jim)

Guest chris brown

Looks like it is but you will still need a pressure relief valve and cap this fits in the larger of the two holes and the pickup pipe bolts to the other (see exploded view on page 2A.21 if you have the later Haynes manual)