Steering Column & Alternator

Guest JWezley

Guest JWezley

Hi Guys,

I have fitted the steering column but it touches the alternator in the alternators original position; of course if i move the alt nearer the engine the belt won't fit (have tried looking for a smaller belt but am unsure of the most likely candidates).

What solutions have you guys come up with for this one.

any help would be appreciated.

Guest Ant

Put the alternator in the best place for adjustment, chassis clearance and steering clearance. Then measure the distance around the three pulleys and go to your local motor factors and ask them for a belt of this length. Most motor factors are fine with selling a toothed belt of a certain length without knowing what car it is for. If your motor factors won't then go to Halfords or Part Co - they both will. Mine is 938mm, this being the closest to the 935 which I measured.

Oh and the diatance is around the outer edge of the belt, not inside the grooves of the pulleys. I sewing type flexible tape measure which is about 10 or 15mm wide is the best thing to use to measure it accurately. If you get one and it turns out to be too long or short make a note of the sizes available either side of it and simply exchange it. Both Halfolrd and Part Co will be happy with that.

Ant