Rivets

Guest Alan Harrison

Guest Alan Harrison

I need to get some stainless steel rivets. I'd like to get them at the Stafford show next week but I'm not sure what sizes I should get and in what quantities. Can anyone help with this.

Also I've seen a product called silkaflex mentioned on this site. Does anyone know where I can get some

Guest DaveB

Hi Alan

I am using 4.8mm X 10 blind stainless rivets for the floor and anywhere else that strength is needed and 4mm X 10 for the body panels. A word of warning 4.8mm rivets are hard work with a hand rivet gun unless your built like Arnie I spent £45 on a decent lazy tong gun money well spent. Silkaflex is the black sticky mastic that RHE supply with the kit you should be able to source it at the show with ease.

Cheers

Dave :rolleyes:

Those lazy riveters are good, and vehicle wiring products sell one quite cheaply. Trouble is that they're useless under the car unless you've got the car on its side or a pit underneath it as you need to extend the tool out about 3 or 4 ft in a straight line from the rivet.

I too put 4.8x10mm stainless rivets into the chassis rails through the floor. Doing them with a hand riveter isn't too bad, and it's good for the hand muscles! Elsewhere I'm using 3.2 x 10mm if it's into the chassis, and 3.2x8mm if it's just joining two panels. In preparation you'll need at least a hundred of each. Start at that and buy more later.

Ant

I must admit I'm not up to speed on current kits but the stuff that came with my kit was not sikaflex - in fact my build manual specifically says that it isn't - but 'a similar type of sealant'. I got my sikaflex from Brown Brothers but lots of motor factors will have it - and it's much better than the supplied stuff or silicone.

I found those stainless rivets ok but not brilliant. Hard work as mentioned and often not gripping as tight as I'd like - the pin seemed to break before full compression was achieved. Marine chandlers are a good place to get them if desperate but anything stainless for boats is instantly double the price!