Rivets

eddieH

Hi folks,

I plan to start building soon and was going to order some rivets but I'm confused about all the different types. I notice that most hoodies use fully stainless steel rivets instead of aluminium ones. Is this to do with galvanic corrosion with an Al rivet in contact with ss panels or just because they look better? If it's just for cosmetic purposes, is it possible to save money by using Al rivets where they can't be seen e.g floor panel, under the cockpit carpet? Is it better to use domed- or flat-headed ones and is a sealed rivet better than a normal one? Do you drill the holes exactly the same size as the rivet or use say a 5.0mm hole for a 4.8mm rivet? Many thanks for your help,

Edward

Guest grahamdale5

In my opinion, it depends where the rivets are used. I have used all stainless where they are structural, such as holding on the floor panel. They are much harder work then ally rivets and can be a bugger to drill out if you get it wrong.

If you want to try some out, give me a call and I will send you some, I have about 300 left in a box and will only use about another hundred. They are 4mm.

Most Hoodies would recommend you use S/S rivets to avoid galvanic corrosion. They're stronger than alloy ones, too. Probably best to go with flat heads especially if you're doing the floorpan and fitting the side panels as per the instructions on the NW Hoodies web site (which says to secure the panels hard up to the bottom rail and pack out the top with washers). General consensus is that this is the better way.

Cheers

JonB

Guest jsillars

I would recommend using s/s rivits.

A little bit harder to pop but much stronger and weather resistant. Manly used 3.2mm rivits, plus 4.8 on more structual parts. Used WELL over 400 hundred in the end (why we nicknamed the car rivit), and brought mainly from tiffosi (nice guy good price excellent service).

My 2 pence

Thanks guys - it looks like stainless is the way to go. I'll order some so I can start building once the holiday starts. I'm going to get some cobalt drill bits as well - what sizes did people use for 4.8mm rivets? Is there any real difference between using a 4.8 or a 5.0? Will the rivets hold with a bigger hole? Cheers,

Edward

Guest chris brown
Will the rivets hold with a bigger hole
It will but a tight fit is a much better job I used 3.2*10mm and 3.2*6mm stainless throughout just more where extra strength was required.

Also used 3.2mm normal jobbing bits "Dormer" (good quality) the trick is to use plenty of pressure with a slow drilling speed and keep it cutting if you allow the drill to just spin without cutting the stainless will quickly work harden and make the job much harder I got through 9 drills 1 broken 8 blunted in something like 1250 rivets (yes I did use more than most)

Wye Valley Supplies are a good source for SS bits and pieces on 01957 860464 and at most shows