Rhe Windscreen

Guest Ant

Okay, I'm taking the plunge. I've forgotten all plans of aeroscreens and I'm going to fit the RHE windscreen. My plan is to go by the videos, but instead of the self tappers from the outside in the pillars and into the frame I was planning on using countersunk headed M5 set screws from the inside, with a nylock and a nut cover on the outside.

Any comments or hints and tips?

Does the long self tapper holding the frame together really work?

Ant

Guest TerryBarry

Hi Ant,

Friday comes ever closer.

Have you considered turning up without screen and wearing a crash helmet :ph34r: .

As Dave Allen used to say "May your God go with you"

"Break a leg" - (just in case you're a Thespian)

HTH

Terry

the one thing that was done well on my car was the screen pillars.A couple of pieces of flat bar were welded onto the side supports, forming a channel that the windscreen frame fits into, then the weld was dressed up smooth. The screws fit in from the side as normal, but the frame is supported by this "channel" There's can be a LOT of force on those screws when you've got the hood on especially.

I hope that you can see what I mean from the photo.

But don't put your sidescreen hinges on the outside like this, put them on the inside.

post-5-1053462154.jpg

Guest paul mercer

i found that when i cut my screen surrounds as per video, i ran out of material to screw/bolt into. or, if i screwed into the material sufficently i rubbed the corner of the screen. i got a new lower section and did the following differently.

when marking out where you are going to cut the lower section, only cut the bits you need to rather than cutting all the way through. hmmm. not the best description.

basically, you want a tag left on the lower section, which will fit into the upper section. if you consider the section as an 'H'. only cut the verticals to the correct width, and leave the horizontal of the 'H' 10-15 mm longer. voila, excess material to screw into.

if this really doesn't make sense let me know!!

Guest minty

I wanted aero-screens too - then found out how much £ - Bealieu Autojumble only had one aero-screen at the right price . So....... I took the plunge and decided to do a cut down RH screen .......... took the glass to local outfit ....... turns out to be cheap toughened (not laminated) ........ so can't be cut . For £15 he cut me a new laminated shape . Rest is as per the video - you could have a swoop to the top as well I suppose . My screen is about 6" high ....... so I use a crash helmet ........ a real buzz .......... never had a m/bike ......... feels like 50 mph at a stand still !

Guest daveg

All

I like Big Jim's welded sopports....as I ride a bike I know what force the wind puts on the glass!

Anyway....I am a long way from doing the screen :(

Dave