Brazing Ss

spg

I've managed to crack one of the welds on my RH stainless tank (tring to bend the seems out to fit round / clear the two back down tubes)

Anybody out there got any experiance of brazing / silver soldiering on stainless steel.

Guest Phil Slater

I had a similar problem and took mine to a local stainless fabricator who did it for around a fiver. Their main concern is if the tank has had fuel in it Health and Safety issues and regs. come into play.

Phil Slater

Guest Jaffer

spg,

I have silver soldered other types of stainless before and it works ok.... you need decent quality solder and flux tho'

There is a 'soft' silver solder paste available that will work and needs a lot less heat, [a bit of pre-heat to tank and large soldering iron...] but it is expensive!!

Like the other Guys say rewelding with TIG is probably the best answer :)

Another possibility is the POR 15 fuel tank kit... basically a paint type coating for the inside of the tank, vintage and classic Guys use it a bit I think... no idea what its like tho' :huh:

Jaff.

Guest bloke

b&q do a flux coated silver solder. need to use seperate flux on the ss aswell

care needed as the heat can distort the metal but if i did it ne1 could - brazed a swirl pot to the bottom of my tank and it seems ok - also brazed the cwing brackets together...

drop me a line if you want to discuss further

Guest Jim Poole

I did the same. Silver soldered an outlet to the bottom and vent to the top of my RH tank. I used the blue coloured flux 'silver solder' from B&Q and a MAPP gas torch. The tank distorted a bit when heated but when it cooled it returned back to shape. Was dead easy.

Guest mickmellors

Steve (SPG) - I have just checked your profile and you dont say where in the country you are so I am not sure if I am near enough to help you.

If the tank has not had petrol in it you should not have too much trouble finding a local garage or small engineering workshop/unit with a tig set.

If it has had petrol in - please give 24 hours notice before you start welding so I can listen out for the bang !!!!!!