University Project For A 7

eddieH

Hi,

For my third year Aerospace Engineering project, I applied for and successfully got one entitled ' Experimental and computational investigation into the techniques of establishing front downforce on a seven-chassis race car'. Needless to say I'm rather pleased about this!! Apparantly the project has been running for a couple of years and some designs have been thought of but they now need some testing. A normal F1 style front wing doesn't work on a 7 style car because the nosecone messes up the airflow and stalls the wing. As I understand it, the best idea is to have guide vanes under the nose like on the new Caterham CSR.

I don't start work on it until the autumn - plenty of time to get the Hood on the road before then. With any luck I can then do some proper testing on the track! I'll keep you up to date with how it goes. :D Cheers,

Edward

Guest bugsy

Good luck with it Edward,

Sounds interesting, post some pics on here and keep us informed on how you get on!

Experimental and computational investigation into the techniques of establishing front downforce on a seven-chassis race car'

Bit of a mouthfull :lol:

Bugsy

Guest joni

Sounds like a good project. I had to do a materials analysis on GRP and carbon fibre for spcification of an ariel atom style prototype body work last year at coventry uni. definitely makes the project better if your researching something your interested in. keep posting on how its going. do you have to build a prototype and test it or is it all done with CAD?

Hi Joni,

Your project must have been pretty good fun - did you get some interesting results? I think mine's going to be quite a lot of CAD work to optimise the design and then some wind tunnel testing afterwards. A model car was built out of wood last year and tested in the tunnel - I would imagine that this can be used again with some modifications. With any luck I'll get some decent results and can then build some full size components! All the best,

Edward

Guest red7

This is very interesting. I have two work experience lads coming to work in my CAD drawing office next week. Guess what I want them to work on? "Design a two seater sports car". That should keep them busy for the week! I will teach them the basics of AutoCAD on Tuesday morning before 10am coffee break, should have a 2D CAD drawing of Red7 by Friday night hopefully. :D