Any Fitted The Rh Small Petrol Tank ?

Guest Phil_h

Guest Phil_h

Hi Guys,

I have a 2B/4 and have a small petrol tank bought from Robin Hood. I was just wondering if anyone else had fitted this tank because I could really do with some ideas on how to secure it. I've had a good look round but can't find much on the small tank.

Thanks in Advance

Phil

Hi, if you still have the robin hood "glossy brochure" have a look at the 2b+ chassis pictures which show their method, failing that have a look at some member,s websites. I.m making up an angle iron type frame from ideas "borrowed" :wub: from these sites

regards bill

Guest Gpayne

I made up a small angle iron frame on the base of the tank then glued on some rubber innertube for support this was riveted in the ushape of the chassis.Two pieces of flat steel hook over the top lip at the back of the car and two pieces of flat bar come from the angle iron base up and over the tank and fix to the back chassis. Dont forget to put some kind of support for the spare wheel . Try and get to harrogate show next weekend i will be there and im sure there will be a few people there with small tanks

Hi Phil,

we put a piece of 12 mm exterior ply with a layer of foam on top of it for the tank to sit on. This fitted in the 'U' of the chassis tubes. There are a couple more pieces of ply on top of the tank (again there is foam between the tank and wood). The whole lot is sandwiched together and clamped by lengths of stainless steel threaded rod (2 at the front and 2 at the rear). The wood is reinforced with strips of steel angle where the rods go through. This seems to be rather sturdy. The tank position can be adjusted left to right to line up with the filler cap. The tank's size means it won't fit inbetween the rear chassis uprights (due to the tank flanges). We also put rubber tube around the rods to prevent them rattling on the tank. Hopefully this becomes clear with an attached photo.

Eddie

post-5-1123532021.jpg

Guest Phil_h

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the responses they certainly have given me some ideas. Eddie the only thing I haven't picked up from your pics and description is how you hold the ply to the chassis ?

Hi Phil,

the ply is screwed into the chassis tubes using stainless steel self tapping screws (size 10). They are countersink type so there is nothing protruding above the ply that could come into contact with the fuel tank. The rear screws go through the steel angle as well. Another method that you may or may not have seen is on Colin Usher's website:

http://www.colinusher.info

As Colin says on there - whichever method you use, remember to make sure the fuel tank is well earthed to prevent any sparks.

Eddie