Column Electrics

Guest macca

Hi all.

I have new loom from RH (Vicky Green I think) which comes with a large diagram.

I am currently working on the electrics to the column. Starting with the 8 wire and 4 wire connectors that looks after the lights/wipers

I originally thought I would follow the colours rather than the positions, but……

The Diagram shows the White/Black wire looping over to the other side of the column, and on the car, 1 of the Brown/Black wires loops over.

This has made me think that I should be following positions rather than colours

See attatched diagram.

Which 1 is it?

wires.doc

Hi there,

we were doing this part just last night. We have the same coloured wires on our car as on your car. If you look at the loom diagram, there should be two column switch setups. As far as we can tell, you're looking at the "relay-less" setup. Your column switches are probably not the high current ones so probably need the relay arrangement shown at the bottom of the diagram. Your colours and positions should match up with this other setup. (Our diagram says edition 2 at the top right hand side and could be different to yours). The relays came with our loom as part of the relay/connector pack. Hope that helps,

Eddie

Cheers Eddy

I only have edition 1. Ill contact carlooms. ;)

Edit added:

Looked on the carlooms website, and looks like I need a relay kit :angry: :angry:

Ah well another job for the credit card

Eddie

The relay pack arrived this morning but there is no extra diagram, could you (or anyone) post the relay set up? I suppose scanning that part of the diagram would be easiest.

Cheers

Macca

Hi Macca,

I've got an image of that part of the diagram but if I compress it to the 50k attachment size for this forum it is totally unreadable! I will PM you with it as an attachment. The file is about 700k uncompressed - I would imagine your email provider can cope with this. Let me know if it doesn't turn up. From the testing I've done so far with a multimeter, the diagram is correct.

Eddie

Dont know if anyone else has had this problem but I seem to have got 2 of the wires to the ignition switch crossed. The diagram is wrong, the wires to key positions 2 and 3 are the wrong way around.

Anyway my wiring nearly complete (apart from the rear flashers flashing the wrong way ;) ;) ;)

Hi guys,

On the edition 2 diagram there are two ignition switch arrangements as follows:

1. VG -----------> Sierra

White / Red ----------->Black / Yellow

White ------------------> Black

Brown ---------------------> Red

(Yellow not used)

2. VG -----------> Sierra

White / Red -----------> Black / Blue

White -----------> Black / Yellow

Brown -----------> Red

(Yellow not used)

I will try and get a photo of the whole diagram soon since it appears that there are a few differences between editions 1 and 2. If anyone needs it I can email it to them. Alternatively, if anyone has an A1 size scanner just lying about we could do it that way!! Edition 2 still isn't perfect - I think the connections to the sealed beam units might be wrong but I haven't checked it out properly yet. Cheers,

Eddie