Alloy Wheel Refurbing

Guest john

All.

I've got some alloy wheel rims in need of a bit of a makeover, and don't fancy paying to have it done ( nothing new there then !! )

Has anyone got tips on the best method and products to use when doing this diy ??

TA

John.

Guest salty_monk

When I did some I simply roughed up the old laquer, filed out any kerb marks etc & then used "wheel paint" (It's actually called that) to paint them, no primer necessary....

Dan :)

Guest docter fox

I've done a couple of set's now :) (all black aswell :wacko: )

I have to sand them down smooth first (Thats the very time consuming and boring part) I use the hycote stuff, you can do the 4 wheels with 3 cans of primer, 3 of colour and 3 of lacquer and it gives a very good finish, but at the local motorcount there about £6 a piece :o Ie. about £50 ;) but at rufforth autojumble near york (which is on this weekend) you can get all 9 for less than £20 :)

it works out more expensive than a few cans of wheel paint and takes quite a bit more time but imo the finish is worth it :) I found it easier to do it with the tyres off and do the whole thing properly rather than messing about masking off, the paint seemed to hold up well against the machine that put the tyres on too :)

I'm doing a set for a friends mini next week (also black :lol: )

Steve, thats a good point. Should have realised it too !

REckon I'll try out on an old wheel first, with plenty of blisters form the rubbing down no doubt. I'll try several products and compare results.

Cheers for the replies.

Hi John,

A good DIY job is possible and I've done it a few times in the past. Any of the wheel paints seem to work well. Hammerite is out, as already mentioned, plus it is rather brittle. Dr Fox's seems a little extreme, but If he enjoys it..... Like any paint job, preparation is Key ('scuse the Pun!!!) It saves time, paint and an early repeat job!! It your'e going for a clear varnish then you must get all the old stuff off first, at least from the visible bits, and smooth off all pitting. Colour is a bit more forgiving, unless you're looking very closely at the finished item. Good Luck and we'll seem them soon

Pete

Guest Cantbearsed

I've repaired a couple of wheels for people and the best paint to achieve the "New Wheel" look is actually Vauxhall Star Silver Metalic 2. Gives the same finished colour as Evo R wheels and most Mk5 Astras! :lol:

400, 800 & 1200 wet & dry....

self etching primer for the aluminium alloy so your paint gets a hold...

you can P38 out any tiny blemishes, just not on the outer bead. Contrary to popular belief filler stays put even at high revs...

Light grey primer to "solidify" the colour of your choice...

Paint with either Comma "silver wheels" or ANY car body paint...

LEAVE TO DRY FOR 3 DAYS MINIMUM,prefferably in dry shed,garage or lounge ^_^ .

Saw some knobber put his wheels straight back on after an afternoon and wondered why he had silver fan effect all over his wheel arches....... :wacko:

Brake drums, similar but can be baked off in standard oven at about 40 C. Can get 2 at a time in the normal kitchen oven, wife/girlfriend permitting! :p

Appreciate the details there, Dale, thanks. ;)

Mine are spider web types, and its the rims and hubs that need the treatment, the matrix parts might be best left alone as they look ok.

Hope i can match the final colour ok. :(