Upgrading The Exhaust System

Guest RichardWiggins

Guest RichardWiggins

Hi Andy,

I spoke with Tiger Racing this afternoon and now have the four seperate down pipes and the required collector winging its way to me via the post (expect Saturday or Monday delivery I imagine) - so should be in a position to start the fitting the following weekend.

I will post an update and picture once the job is finished.

Regards

Richard

Guest Angel Boy

Richard,

To late for you now but lolocost (RHE) have got the manifold and exhaust back in stock. I have spoken to them today just to check up on the state of play.

So if anyone else was waiting now looks like the time.

Andy

ps Richard if you can let me know how the Tiger instal goes I would be greatful. Although the RHE option is possible the easiest at the minute for me, if it goes ok I'll bare it in mind if I fancy a different exhaust.

Guest RichardWiggins

Hi Andy,

Typical that as soon as I but my pipes elsewhere RH with typcial flair get them in - fast running out of patience with RH.

Well the 4 separate pipes and the colector look very high quality with some superb welding although the fit between the pipes and the 4:1 collector appears a bit optimistic - although a slight play with the file soon got a tight but still smooth trial assembly on the kitchen table.

The pipes for Cylinder 1 & 2 took no time at all to fit and the existing RH side panel hole simply need enlarging on all edges aside from the bottom so this was a pleasant surprise.

Now the problems / challenges <_< have started..........

Cylinder 3 pipe goes straight through the steering shaft but I can drop the column etc and get away with it I think but it became aparant another problem was arising. :(

The firt two pipes fitted, from cylinders 1 & 2 are the outer most pipes for the collector, so the pipes on 3 & 4 will enter the collector whilst still inside the body - and topping it off appear to want to run straight through the footwell - the idea of a 300c footwell heater does not appeal.

Last Sunday turned into 3 hours of the car followed by 6 hours of alcohol to get over it - more determined this weekend to solve it.

I will post a picture on either Sunday or Monday as to the final look - assuming I can find a way around the above problem.

Regards

Richard

• 1 year later...
Guest timswait

I went from RHE twin tube to RHE 4 into 1 stainless system last year. It was not an easy retro fit. The hole in the body side was in the wrong place so needed enlarging, the steering shaft and colomb needed re routing, the brake servo needed moving and the 2.0 alternator just plain didn't fit, so I had to use one from a 1.6 and custom make a bracket to hold it. Why can't RHE make anything easy? There is a reduction in noise with the RHE silencer, but it's still loud, and it blows the packing out after about 1000 miles. The RHE silencer isn't intended to be repackable, but you can cut a hole in it and rivet it back up, I've done this and it works, there's various instructions on how to do it on the forum. At Barkston Heath, straight after repacking the noise meter said 91 dB at 3000 rpm and 97 dB at 4000 rpm, so it should be an easy SVA pass.

Basically, the RHE exhaust is much cheaper than it's competitors, but it won't fit any easier, and probably isn't such good quality. (the headers aren't even equal length).

Guest RichardWiggins

HI,

Sorry for the delay in responding Piddy - I tried yesterday but for some reaosn it has not appeared.

I never got around to fitting the Tiger exhaust (although I bough it) - it is languishing currenty in the shed.

I encountered problems in terms of the required hole in teh O/S - it looked like I would need to open up an elongated hole to the biginning of teh Drivers footwell as the Tiger exhaust did not protrude through the side panels far enough at the point of where the collector joins the down pipes.

With time running out to have the car finished I pushed on with the standard exhaust, enjoyed the car for a while and unfortunatly sold it when we moved home (no garage any longer).

The Tiger exhaust is a very good quality item (& the price reflects this).

Hope this helps.