Top Seatbelt Mountings

Guest john

Guest john

Hi All, yes , that old chestnut again.

I'm upgrading my top mountings from the single one , welded to the side of the cross tube, to doubles, welded through the cross tube.

This is how it is now supplied in the kit, I believe.

Can anyone please tell me the positions of the four mounting points as on the newer chassisssss.

AND must the harness straps clear the headrest supports ? or will Mr SVA not like it if the straps touch the headrest supports ?

How have most of you got them ? Both straps between? both outside? one of each or what.

I'd like to get ths right before drilling and welding.

Many thanks for any help / piccies

TA :)

I haven't fitted headrests yet, but I do have head rest mounts. The harnesses go either side of them. I don't think it will pass SVA if the belt touches the headrest pillars when the belt is in use. I'm not sure though because with bucket seats the belt passes through the seat. Maybe the criteria is whether the obstruction is likely to cause damage and fraying to the belt. A headrest pillar shouldn't do this.

I can measure the seatbelt mounts tonight if you like. Someone else may beat me to it though.

Ant

Guest john

Hi Ant.

Yes my query is really based on whether the fraying of the harness on the headrest mounts is likely to be an SVA failure. I've got production seats ( Volvo) but expect to buy some buckets later. I want the new mounting points to be ok for both. My start point is to swat up on what RHE have done.

Do your harnesses pass outside of the headrest supports , or between them ?

My present set up is a single mount intended for 3 point harnesses, so no problem of interfering with h/r supports.

Measurements or piccies would help a lot. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance,

Here's a couple of pics which show the mounts in relation to where my headrest holes are.

seat_bases_trial_fit.jpg

car_after_unwrapping.jpg

The headrests are from the Sierra seats, but I've not fitted them yet as they need covering in foam and vinyl first. The plastic bits which stick out of the top of the seat are removed from the Sierra seats. These slot into the wooden blocks shown in the top photo. As you can see these are just inside where the harnesses fall, hence when I do fit the headrests they won't touch the seat belts.

Hope that helps.

If I remember tonight I'll measure where the mounts are between the roll-over bar for you.

Ant

Guest john

Ant

Thats good enough.

I can see that the harness passes just outside the headrest uprights.

I had thought that if they were too far apart then the occupant would slip through in the event of an accident.

That looks like a nice piece of bench seat back you've made BTW.

What did you use for the seat squabs ?

Thanks for your help

Seat swab construction photo's shown below.

seat_swab_components.jpg

seat_swab_part_assembled.jpg

seat_swab_part_assembled_2.jpg

I've not got a good photo of the fully assembled seat swabs, but I'm sure you get the idea from these.

Here's the seat back panel with the un-covered headrests fitted too:

seat_back_finished_3.jpg

This and some modification of the lower outer seatbelt mounting points and it all adds up to a 2B fit for a driver who's a little over 6ft 5 tall :rolleyes:

About time I got these photos on my web page really ... and covered the headrests ... and panelled the boot ... and made some side screens ... and ..... oh well B)

Ant

Guest SteveL
About time I got these photos on my web page really.

...It's about time you stopped driving that car, and updated your web site! :D

Steve

The driving has stopped ... for a few days at least. Firstly it's raining all the time, and secondly I need to get this gearbox vent sorted and check the oil levels as I'm not sure how much is left in there!

Having spent all last night in the pouring rain replacing brakes ont he wife's polo, tonight is destined to be spent groping about under the 2B.

Ant