Tintop Problems

Guest janis

Guest janis

My lexus is 220d blow intercooler pipe off few months away..i managed to get it back it was wee bracket broken thats why it came off..next i heard its blowing air somwhere out again and awas getting very smokey after couple weeks yesterday i get a chance to take all plastics off and pipe off..it was cut..i remove broken bit and managed to get pipe back on..it was o lot of oil around broken bit and inside of a pipe was very oily...is there shoud be any oil inside boost pipe?car is only 70k miles..i know there usually is some oil but is there shoud be any?

Another thing i notice that it has been leaking some dirty emissions or air around turbo turbo is very clean and not leaking any oil but a lot of air has been coming from somewhere..there is like a wee valve round thing that turbos has and it might come from there...it is hard to see cos not much space..coud it dump some excess air out there?like a dump valve or something?and cos pipe was burst it had a lot of dirty smokey air?

Sorry about stupid question but know very little about turbos..

Guest 2b cruising

Put it all back together without boost pipe leaks first.

The oil in the boost system always build up after time.

After you have got rid of all boost leaks, go for a road test.

If you are passing to much oil through the turbo seals, your engine will blue smoke.

If no smoke, ignore what is in the boost pipes.

Also the soot around the valve is there because as you suspected, to much smoke while the boost pipe leaking.

Make sure all joints are thoroughly clean before fitting pipe clamps.

Guest janis

It is all back..i managed to cut pipe a bit shorter cos it was broke right on the edge so cut the end off and put it back together..have done around 60miles no smoke and more sideways action..goes well better..

Yea so no worries about that valve then..thank u..

Cos car is cat c that pipe must had a wee cut in accident..then it just ripped in that spot.

Guest 2b cruising

It don't take much to have a leek.

If you consider 1b inside the cylinder on sucking stroke, the pressure against atmosphere is much higher.

A pin hole in the intercooler can cause a vast loss of power.

• 1 month later...

So problems couninue..after i fix pipe it was all going fine for a wee while til it was starting to loose power on low revs..it got worse and worse and now i cant get up the hill at my house..took off egr valve and give it a good clean..took off air flow mass reader and clean it with contact cleaner..same..even on tick over it rews up very slowly..took air flow reader off and same..put back on same..no difference when its on or off..is that means its not working propertly and its broke?

Guest 2b cruising

Is it smoking again.

If yes, you have either turbo fault, could be boost valve stuck open or linkage broken on turbo. Or vacuum pipe leaking. Or once again intercooler boost pipe.

If no smoke, start looking for fuel starvation faults.

Blue smoke = oil. ie turbo seals.

Black smoke = boost fault. ie turbo seized or running slow, boost valve fault and all above.

Hope this helps.

The boost valve opens a gate in the turbo when the vacuum valve opens it.

This is to allow boost to escape past the turbine when boost is not required.

When stuck open through either bad linkage or lack of vacuum you would lack power, even sometimes without smoke.

Can happen without giving dash light fault.

Hope,this helps you, Ken.

Edited by 2b cruising

Vsc light and engine light traccontrol etc..it is vehicle stability control but it throws that out like a limp mode on many problems..drop it down to mechanics tonight..nothing else i coud do without comp..and going to holidays tonight so let u know anyway..

And its like limp mode but it was going fast with them lights before..no smoke really..turbo pipes is ok otherwise i coud hear air blowing out and it is very slow on rewing up and low rews when turbo is not even going yet..

Guest 2b cruising

Without seeing it there is not a lot more I can help you with.

Hope your mechanic gets it done ok for you.

Have a good holiday and come back rested and happy.

Ken.

• 2 weeks later...