Thinking Of Buying 'n' Building

Guest jasonmorris

Guest jasonmorris

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying the new zero kit and transfering all the doner bits from my series 2 across to it. Thing is I've never built a car from scratch before and am just a little daunted (although excited) by the task that lies in front of me.

Do any members have zero's on the road yet that have passed SVA, if so I would appreciate any info on the quality of the kit and about ease of built. Although I am not an engineer, I would considder myself at least fairly able and have in the past been able to do jobs such as simple servicing, stripping rear suspension etc...

I would also appreciate any build tips regarding the kit, tools recommended modifications to the kit etc...

Also does anyone know if the GRP panels are available in carbon fibre as I am going to treat this project as a labour of love and want it to look really special.

Jazzym

p.s. I'm going to the factory on Wednesday to look at the car and hopefully Richard will be able to take me for a ride, weather permitting, and if i like the way it drives and looks then I'll leave a deposit.

Edited by Jazzym

Guest boggybogstar

go for it, so far it's the best thing Ive ever done, I no longer have to suffer nights inside where the wife and teenage daughters seem to be hooked on soaps and big brother !!!!!

I'm no where near finished, only picked up the Zero a month or so ago and so far rear suspension and drums are on, brake and fuel pipes completed and the seat back and ss panels fitted - no real headaches so far - although there have been a few issues (Diff bolt holes didnt line up and rear suspension took a bit of persuading)

I reckon they can be built quite quickly although I want to take my time (2010?)

I went for the plus kit plus gbs crate zetec, ecu, throttle bodies etc, I reckon the total by the end will be between £7k to £7.5k ish

Guest jasonmorris

go for it, so far it's the best thing Ive ever done, I no longer have to suffer nights inside where the wife and teenage daughters seem to be hooked on soaps and big brother !!!!!

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me mate (Big Brother, I bloody hate it). How are you finding the build so far and is the kit of good quality (holes drilled correctly, mounting points correctly positioned etc?

Zetec sounds good with throttle bodies. Unfortunately I am limited to the pinto at the moment because I spent rather a lot of cash on it at John Noble Motorsport in chesterfield before some van driver decided to write my hood off 2 weeks after I got it back.

Actually I can't wait for the visit and to get cracking. Starting on Thursday my old damaged series 2 is starting to be stripped of every singe part that is reusable. Many of the parts have either been stripped and painted, does anyone know the best way to strip metal parts of exisitng paint or rust and then what is the best method of preventing future corrosion. I want to make sure that all my doner parts are stripped painted and ready for installation once the new kit arrives. I have heard about de-rusting using a battery or something can anyone shine a light on this.

Jazzym

Guest chris brown
Do any members have zero's on the road yet that have passed SVA,

Also does anyone know if the GRP panels are available in carbon fibre as I am going to treat this project as a labour of love and want it to look really special.

There are at least 2 that I have seen on the road post SVA and yes they look good I would say go for it. I also believe Richard is going to bring out a Mk2 2B which may be worth waiting for if you want the car for longer trips.

I don’t know about the carbon effect GRP I do know they weren’t when we were at Newark as Les W wanted some wings but he did find a firm who were doing all GRP for 7's in carbon effect.

Guest jasonmorris

To be honest, I will try to keep the car as light as possible apart from a few niceties such as windscreen etc... and it will mainly only be used for Sunday afternoon blasts, a show or two and definately a couple of track days.

I have read on other forums about MK Indy's, MNR's, Mac#1's etc but none of these tend to have the backup that RHOCAR give to Robin Hood owners. Yes there are locost forums but they tend to be more general as opposed to dedicated to one brand. With Hoodies it seems a way of life, a social thing and there is much comeradery, and that's why I have chosen to stick with the brand. I am so glad that GBS have brought out a car that can compete with the likes of MK etc... with regards to Power to weight ratio and handling.

Jazzym

Guest jasonmorris

Hi Nick,

Car has been of the road for over a year now. When the front suspension was totalled it bent the monocoque chasis. I am really looking forward to getting on with building my own car and more importantly adding my own touch to it. As I said it's a bit daunting but I'm sure there is no problem I can't overcome especially as this is such a great forum with all the expertese on hand.

Knowing my luck I bet it's raining on Wednesday when I go to the factory to view a zero :huh:

Guest jasonmorris

Thanks for the link #11 there is some excellent adice in that thread. Seems like the best route to go is a combination of electrolysis, wire brush and petrol followed by a good coating of hammerite or similar.

Jason

Guest timswait

Has your Series 2 been declared a write off? I suspect you won't need an SVA test, you can keep the Series 2's registration details.

Good luck with the project.

Guest jasonmorris
Has your Series 2 been declared a write off? I suspect you won't need an SVA test, you can keep the Series 2's registration details.

Good luck with the project.

Yes it has been declared a right off. After speaking with Richard at GBS seems I may be able to get around the SVA by calling it a re-chassis or re-shell much the same as those who restore classic cars.

How do I find out what category was assigned to the right off?

Jason

Guest jasonmorris

Great news, just rang DVLA and they inform me that as long as I keep the receipts for any new chassis and use as many of the original parts as possible then I will only need a VOSA VIC certificate and no SVA :D :D :D :D