New Engine

Guest bobr

I'am just about ready to give my 2B its first run out of the garage. Engine fitted is a 160 BHP pinto from Vulcan , twin webbers and compertition dizzy. Ignition timming was set following Dave Andrews good article at approx 18 degrees. The only time i started engine was 9 months ago, it started ok but within a minute the robin hood supplied 4-1 manifold was glowing red and melting the clutch cable. I have since then lagged the manifold as mentioned in other links but is this temperature normal as I'am reluctant to start engine again in case i do any damage. Any advice would be welcome.

Guest Tim Norman

Sort the timing out. I had the same problem but can't remember whether I was too advanced or retarded. I have a similar spec engine but the static advance is no where near that far advanced. Is the cam timing right?

Your timing may not be that far out. first things first, did Vulcan do the cam timing? if they did, then it should be correct, if you did it, check it again.

Then with a good strobe, ie one that you can see the different advance on, not just a flash-bang-wallop one, first retard your ignition to about 10º BTDC at idle (around 950 - 1000rpm) warm up the engine to normal temp (make sure that your coolant isn't air locked) then see what you have at 3,500rpm, reset the dizzy so that you have 32º BTDC at 3,500rpm. it should then be correct. let it idle, then reset the idle speed should you need to, now check what you have at idle, anything UNDER 20º is acceptable, you'll probably find it's about 16ºBTDC. remember this figure so that you don't need to rev the *bleep*s off it every time you reset the ignition.

Thanks for all the advice, the valve timming was set by vulcan so i can only assume that it will be correct. I will take Jims advice and invest in a good strobe as the timming so far has only been set when static