Vectra Airbag Warning Light

Andy Spencer

Our 2001 Vectra has developed a problem where the airbag warning light stays on. I've looked at the connections for the seatbelt pretensioners under the seats (a common problem apparently) and can't see any faults. Vauxhall want £40 just to plug the diagnostic machine in, before undoubtedly asking for wallet melting sums of money to fix what is probably a simple problem.

Anyone got any ideas to get a cheaper fix?

Thanks

Andy

Guest Eric

Andy,we had similar problem on 2001(Y) vectra, diagnostic's came up with 'side air bag sensor' as being the culprit.

not that there was anything wrong with the sensor, just i used to keep my mobile phone in the door pocket and apparently when you recieve a call/message the signal interferes with the sensor(sensor is apparently in the doors behind the pocket, for the seat side airbags) signal/reading making the car think there is a problem :o

apparently dealers/manafacturer know all about it, but there fix is to put a sheet of tin foil behind the door trim :o :lol:

i think you need a diagnostic computer to put the light out, but bro in law has own garage so i got it cheap ;)

although i dont think vx should charge as its a design fault/problem they know about :huh:

mind you that's assuming it's the same problem :wacko:

hope this is of some help

ek B)

Guest salty_monk

It's normally always a sensor plug & you probably will need to plug it in to reset the light.

A lot of auto electricians have the machine (they're not that expensive anymore).

In fact you can get one from Halfords which will read the code & some of the more expensive ones will reset the light.

I did see something online about some freeware software you could use along with datalink cable. Can't find it now & might have been a US only thing.

Dan :)

Cheers Dan.

Also, would like to say a big thanks to Lobgob who PM'd me and offered to plug the tech 2 in (he works at a dealership) and also Andy Rathbone in Nuneaton who has given me a useful contact with access to a tech2 (the diagnostic machine) after he had the same problem on the same car and fixed it for next to nothing. At least then we'll know where we are with the problem.

Isn't it great to be in this club? There's always someone to help!!

Andy

Guest Andy Rathbone

we may not have the same problem, but we all have a similar affliction, we all enjoy our cars and hate being ripped off by dealers and garages.

Glad I could help.

If you do pop over and see Wayne at IVC Knock on my door as you pass number 200, kettles on ;)