RHOCaR National Meet Announcement

RHOCaR national meet 26th to 28th September 2014 at Hollowell Northamptonshire, NN6 8RB.

More details and Download the Entry form here: http://www.rhocar.or...=15#entry308724

- - - - -

Folding/lifting Bonnet

Bonnet folding hinged lifting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HS88

HS88

Wheely good builder!

• Community user
  • 180 posts
  • Car type:GBS Zero Race

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:46 PM

I am wondering if anyone here has modified the standard stainless bonnet and made it such that it had a hinge along the center and can be opened from either side without having to be fully removed.

Or if anyone has reinforced the bonnet and added gas struts to allow it to lift up like a modern car bonnet?

Any photos/advice/instructions etc would be great.

Thanks!

For reference I have an RH S7 but I think the bonnets are all fairly similar..
If it isn't broken, take it apart and fix it!

#2 florin metal works

florin metal works

Hants & Dorset Area Secretary

• Area Secretary
  • 4,593 posts
  • Car type:2B+

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:19 AM

Attached File  2010_0910EXHAUSTswanage0015.JPG   113.95K   105 downloadsAttached File  2010_1017WINDSCREENoct20100006.JPG   114.51K   110 downloads

A couple of pics of our Florin Silhouette -- the bonnet halves are joined together either side of a fixed spine running from scuttle to nose-cone using s/steel piano hinge.  Bonnet is locked down using cap-head bolts down through return flange & into a home made trap nut fixed inside the chassis rail,the holes in the bonnet sides are (access to cap-heads)blanked-off with 20mm electrical grommets. Stays were made to hold bonnet sides in open position; all above give an "old school" look & is trouble free.
Cap-head bolts used as could not afford 4 aero catches at the time, these may look a lot better than my grommet fix.

#3 HS88

HS88

Wheely good builder!

• Community user
  • 180 posts
  • Car type:GBS Zero Race

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:34 AM

Thanks Florin. Looks like a nice installation there.

Did you have to strengthen the bonnet at all? The bonnet I have for the S7 is very flexible and needs picking up diagonally if only one person to stop it bending in half...
If it isn't broken, take it apart and fix it!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bonnet, folding, hinged, lifting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users