Trying To Stay Cool

Guest alan rowe

Guest TerryBarry

Other than antifreeze I haven't seen anything.

The addition of antifreeze to water does increase the boiling point.

As an example at atmospheric pressure a 33% solution boils at 104°C (water = 100°C)

In a pressurised system at 8 psig these figures become 116°C ( 112°C)

and at 12 psig it's 125°C (117°C)

Terry

I don't think there's any problem with transfering heat from the engine into the water, or from the water into the radiator, the problem comes when transfering heat from the rad into the air.

Clean the cooling system with some kind of flush to get rid of the gunk that furs it up, this will only help if it's badly clogged.

Make sure there is a good supply of cool air going over the rad and out of the car.

Guest Fred2b

Guy

Are you saying then that it is not necessary to have air flow over the engine? I thought the fan blew cooled air from the radiator over the engine?

My understanding of the system sounds like ba***cks now I think about it!

You are probably right!!

Regards

Fred

The cool air comes in from the front through the radiator, it comes out of the back of the radiator as warm air wich mixes with cold air that leaked round the side.

the warm air goes over the engine and cools it some more, including the bits that aren't water cooled, then the hot air comes out of the bottom of the car and out. If you have louvers it comes out of these as well.

Some of the problem is that there is not much air going through, so the small amount of air heats up quickly and does not take any more heat with it. Also you realy want cold air going over the engine, not warm air from the rad, but that's the way life is.

Baisicly, keep the air flow going through the system. when stationary, use a fan to feed the air through, don't just circulate it under the bonnet.

The only way to get the coolent to transfer more heat is to use a dencer liquid, but then it becomes more dificalt to pump so it goes slower and is less efective.

You could use a high flow pump, mount the rad at the top of the roll bar and fill the whole lot with mercury. Then the car will be heavier and you'll need a more powerfull engine! wich will get hotter.

You can tell I'm board at work can't you!

Guest monogfx

You can get a water "wetter" from Demon Tweaks - supposed to make the transfer of heat more efficient - never used it though. Far better to have a good system to start with.

Tim