Ecotek Valve

Guest timswait

Guest timswait

The Burton power catalogue list a device called an Ecotek valve. It claims to mount in the inlet mani and introduce turbulence into the airflow, so making fuel and air mix better so improving both performance and economy. There's not many things you can get which improve both (I'm just dissapointed it doesn't do the washing up too), and that's not bad for £40. Has anyone used one, or knows anyone who uses one or has any other ideas on whether they're any good?

Guest Mr Pid

Have been looking at this very item myself, improves car performance and MPG, sounds too good to be true.

Would be interested to hear any comments also. Will this be ok/beneficial to turbo cars?

cheers

Stu :rolleyes:

Guest Simon cooper

I haven't seen the Burton catalogue but i think it is a variation on a theme.

The valve is opperated by manifold vacuum. at idle vacuum is about 18 " of mercury, on deceleration it ups to about 20-22", this opens the valve and vents the manifold so sucks in less fuel on the over-run. yes it gives economy but the performance side is only enhanced a small amount in that you do not dope up the plugs and then accelerate with a minor missfire for about 1/2 second. Big claims really, no good with side draughts as it is normaly fitted in the servo line.

Simon

Guest GeordieJim

I tried one of these about 3 years ago on a Rover 216 Gsi. I was driving a lot of motorway miles (about 150 / day) and thought that any improvement in performance would be great. However it made absolutely no difference whatsoever to fuel consumption or performance so I returned it. However I was getting really good fuel consumption anyway (about 45 mpg) which I put down to regular oil changes, good quality petrol and a very light right foot.

I seem to remember it made a very loud rasping noise when the engine was being rev'ed. When I returned it the person I spoke too said it would make more of a difference around town - I didn't believe him though.

With a fuel injected car I acn't see it making any difference, not sure about a carb'ed one though.

I wouldn't try one again, the awful noise it made is enough to stop me.

• 2 weeks later...