Warwick's Build Photos...

Guest ScotMac

Guest ScotMac

Hi, here are the asked for photos from Warwick's (very well along) LightWeight build:

http://scotmac.com:8080/locost/warwick.build.lw/index.htm

Note, put this in "chassis", since most of the photos are of the building of the chassis.

Looks like a great job Warwick. Keep it up, and you'll be on the road soon!!!

Cheers, -sm :)

Guest warwick7735

Scot

That was quick, I'm famous now my car will be hunted down by autograph hunters. I've built it as the DVD, I know your racing yours and hence the stiffening that your doing. Any questions from any other LW builders don't hesitate to contact me.

Until the next time take care all

Warwick

Guest salty_monk

Scot,

Looking at those pics it seems obvious that to make the diff removeable it has to come out from the top... Looks like you have to find a way to make panel 15a removeable...

Good news is there appears to be plenty of space around the diff to build any strength back in you'd lose from the structure by doing this...

Having not seen the lightweight in the flesh these pics inspire a lot more confidence about the L/W than previously...

I still think you are right to consider running square tube along the top rails of the cockpit, looks to me that it would fold fairly easily at that point, certainly with a side impact!

Dan :)

Guest ScotMac

Yes, side impacts are VERY worrisome, in the RH original form!!! Also, the crumple capability of the cockpit, as someone (???) else brought up.

I agree that the top is the only possibility...but even that worries me a bit. How about instead of a removeable diff, we go w/ a *permanent* diff case, and just make sure that we can remove the internals??? ie, we need to ensure that we can get that big ugly tool in that knocks off the side retainers (know idea what the tool or the retainers are really called), and that we can then get the actual diff out that back door (ie, the cutout of the back panel that you can see in Warwick's 4th picture). The latter shouldn't be too hard. Is 7 1/2" big enough to allow the diff internals to get out??? I'll measure tonight.

Guest ScotMac

BTW, about your new found confidence in RH engineering ;), yes, the 15 'x' panels all around the diff box are not a horrible design (though i think even those need to be beefier). However, the diff box side panels are still only 1/16" aluminum panels, which can easily be bent w/ *one* hand...and that is what the diff bolts up to. I tripled (added a 3/16" panel) or quadrupled (my new 3/16" panel, combined w/ the existing 1/16" panel) the side panels.

Guest salty_monk

I wouldn't like to take out the internals in situ, think you're asking for trouble.

Personally I would develop so you can remove it whole from the top. It can still be fairly permanent, it's not as if you will be removing every week!!

Dan :)

Guest ScotMac

Well, the obvious problem of taking it out in situ is the fact that you have to take out the entire half shafts, in order to be able to spin off those outside retainers. Hence the need for lobro joints. Still, a lot of extra work. But you did say that we woudn't be doing this very often.

If you could take it out in whole, *and* you had lobro joints (which is not assured w/ my ZF diff), you could simply unbolt the lobro, and slide it out.

Guest salty_monk

It's not so hard, you can unbolt the hub from the axle & just slide the whole driveshaft over on a 2b if simply changing the diff, tie up the brake plate so it doesn't destroy the brake lines... It's 4 bolts each side, probably less bolts than the lobro joint has!!

I assume you'll be able to do something similar on the L/W.

Having been told what a "black art" setting a diff up properly is it doesn't strike me as something I'd want to do with the casing still in the car.

As ever though, it's your car, your choice!! :D

• 3 weeks later...
Guest warwick7735

Hi

Unfortunately I haven't got very far because I'm waiting for my manifold. See kit car chat on my section why.

Has any one got any aspirin, I've been banging my head on a wall for weeks.

Warwick

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ScotMac

Yes, it looks good. Can't believe you are building soo fast, but still have time to do all that trim!!!

And i see what you mean about getting the exh manifold around the steering collumn. Luckily mine has no chance for that problem (exhaust comes out the right, but collumn is on the left). Besides, don't think i could handle right side drive...my left hand shifting REALLY sucks!!! ;-)

Cheers, -sm

Guest ScotMac

Actually, the report is that the site only shows the old pictures, and not the new ones (probably just his cache), but can someone verify that you can see all 19 "thumbnails" from the above link?

Thanks, -sm

Guest macca
Actually, the report is that the site only shows the old pictures, and not the new ones (probably just his cache), but can someone verify that you can see all 19 "thumbnails" from the above link?

Thanks, -sm

I see 19