Rear Wings

Grizzly

No you don't

Do too! - Well I do now :p

Thanks Guys, All comments inwardly digested. In addition, I think what most of you are are trying to tell me (in addition to all the other tips) is that I need to insert a sliver of wood between the first fixing point (on the rear lip of stainless and the end of the GRP) removing it at the end of the procedure in order to then pull the stainless around tighter. I'll take it all apart and try these tips for the second attempt. I'll probably have a go at the other side first, to make sure though. Like you say, these are the types of jobs where you have to try & try again eh?

I'm not blaming you at all Mitch - Stop fretting ;) ;)

Guest paul mercer

Hi ,

This is a one way solution. Once done, there is no going back so be warned. I took a template of the curve of the side panel. If the front of the wheel arch is poking out by say 30mm, then move the template away from the side panel 30mm and mark on it where you would like the side panel to be. Then restraighten the tabs on the inside of the arch. Extend the slits till they reach your new line and rebend the tabs with pliers. If you are careful it comes out well. This is how i did it anyway.

If your at detling in a few weeks and still havent done your arches have a look at mine. I'll be on display inside, k17 CAA.

Hope this helps.

PAul

Sir Big Jim was pointing out to me that I had yet to do the fold on the forward lower edge (corresponding to the same fold on the rear edge). It's done now Jim! :p I've now made up the nearside wheel arch and after a bit of fettling was a dream to fit compared to the offside. There's just no substitute for a bit of practice eh? I'm now going to have another go on offside one again and hopefully they can then just sit there for a few more days whilst the silicon cures off. Oh, I must just say thanks to my pal though, who's been galantly helping me with this particular job and keeping me on the straight & narrow. Two heads as well as two pairs of hands are definately required for this task. Cheers John! :)

Hi Grizzly,

keep an eye on the rear wings as the sealant stuff cures. We got them looking almost perfect, put the sealant on and then went away for a few days. When we came back, the fibreglass had shifted slightly in relation to the stainless part. :boohoo: They don't look bad but it was a bit annoying! I don't know if it's because the silicone shrinks as it cures or if we hadn't got the fibreglass part tight enough against the stainless bit. We had all the same problems as you were having though - modifying the tabs how Paul suggested worked well. I remember wishing that we had one of the kits with the one-piece fibreglass arches - it couldn't have been much more difficult! All the best,

Edward

Hi Steve,

Here's some pics of what I'm on about:

First the Offside looking into the arch:

You can see that the fold is lower than the end of the GRP. This is because the offside GRP is slightly smaller than the nearside.

Finally, a view of the nearside:

Don't worry if it looks a bit tatty - there's plenty of edge trim and underseal or whatever, to go on yet. I guess the purpose of the fold is to give it all a bit more rigidity.