** Hijacked Ebay Accounts **

Guest Takumi

Guest Takumi

I woke up wednesday morning to find my ebay account has been hijacked and used to place around 20 listings of laptop computers & electrical items which are located in LosAngeles, USA.

Following Ebay's online help pages, I've ended all the listing and am now in the process of contacing Ebay.co.uk to have all of the of listing fees (£hundreds) cleared from my account.

Never say it will never happen to you!

** All Ebay / PayPal users Please Change your passwords regularly **

--still trying to get ebay to clear the full amount from my account--

Guest AWhite

Some possiblities

Perhaps you have some virus or spyware on your computer that has scanned your password.

Note: Scan your computer with a spyware scanner - adaware personal can be downloaded free from www.download.com

Avast from avast.com do a free virus scanner.

A hacker has gained access to your computer remotely.

Note: Make sure you have an up to date firewall.

Another possiblity is that it is a common password that has been guessed by some sort of hacking program that fires possiblities at your ebay account until it runs out or gets it right.

Note: Try to not have proper words in your password and mix in capital letters and lowercase and some numbers. And definately don't use something simple like "password". Don't use a short password. An excellent example of a password would be something like AbG45tRE5se not very memorable but your unlikely to ever get it guessed.

Andy

Guest ScotMac

Also, watch out for "trojan horses".

For example, one of the more common ebay-based attacks is to send you an email, that looks like it is from ebay. Then, when you click a link in the email, it takes you to a website that looks exactly like ebay.com (ebay.co.uk) and asks you to login. Once you give it your userid and password, it then immediately forwards you to the real ebay login screen, making it appear that the login attempt simply failed.

In general, be very careful w/ email originating links.

-sm