2b Rear Springs

Guest brookie

Guest brookie

I seem to have the same problem as most 2b's with the back end bottoming out, however dont want to go down the coilover route. I've been in touch with the local parts factors who are asking if "I want normal or heavy duty springs".

Advice, comments etc from anybody thats been down this path would be greatly appreciated.

Yours confused. :huh:

Guest chris brown

Without fitting adjustable damping rate shocks you are not going to overcome the problem the heavyweight springs will help but watch out that they are not greater in diameter as there is so little clearance between the spring and the half shafts that even a small increase could be a problem. What have you got against coilovers? Once you have been on the road for a few months I feel sure that you will wish you had changed to them at this time and just spent that bit extra as they make so much difference to the cars handling.

Guest Tim Norman

I'll take some pictures of my solution. Never bottomed out since and I have nailed it down some very bumpy roads!!! ;)

But in short if you bolt the cups from the top of the suspension taken off the donor in to the lower arms of the rear suspension. You effectively raise the back of the car by three inches. Then by refitting the dampers you put preload in to the springs and bottoming out, into history. :D

Pictures by tomorrow.

Guest salty_monk

The cheap & easy fit solution is to get some rubber "spring assistors" from your local caravan centre.

Stick a load of fairy liquid on them & just slide them into the spring... (with the back jacked up on the diff)

Taking away the cup washer & replacing it with a bolt welded to a plate helps increase clearance too... See Bill's site for an example of that...