1.8 Pinto With 2.0 Head?

Guest Kev H

Guest Kev H

I have a 1.8 pinto and have bought a pair of twin 40 Dellorto's. I intend to fit a ported, lead free head with a fast road cam and the twin 40's over the winter.

The point is I know the 2.0 litre head will physically fit the 1.8 block but are there any problems associated with this ie valve clearances etc.

Has anyone done similar if so does it work ok

Kev

Guest Takumi

Hello,

I had a 1.8 in the car, and recently got a 2.0i engine, I thought about just swapping the heads when I had finished lots of work on the 2.0i head.., but decided against it..

As for differences, valve clearences are ok. Unless your using an actual RACE cam, either Lightning Rod or similar that lift beyond 12-13mm, some cams require piston machining to clear the full lift..

The next obvious wall is the combustion chamber size, I know the 2.0 is around 50cc, the 1.6 35cc, I have know idea the volume of the 1.8 and how much different it is as compared to the 2.0 chamber.

It may be worth, on your work bench, with your assembled head, measure the chamber volume,

This is done by TITRATING water into the combustion chamber when the head is upside-down (valves closed.!!) and filling the chamber up to the brim.

This will give you a cc of chamber volume..

The whole point of doing all this work is to calculate the comression ratio, as you wouldnt want to put the 2.0 (50ccm chamber) onto the 1.8 blokc and discover you've now got a c/r of 5.0:1 !!!

it would ruin all your mods..

to calculate c/r, you also need to find out the total vol' displacement of a cylinder eg. 1800 / 4, ok..

but use the exact cc vol as denoted in a haynes manual..

cylinder vol / chamber vol = c/r :)

hope this has atleast give you a direction to check out..

let me know what you've measured I'd like to know for my engine. :)

thanx

tak.

p.s High Duration cams, work more effectively at High rpms, in high C/R engines ( due to more overlap with longer durations.. not so good with mid rpm in std engines)

Guest Stuart Ainslie

Kev,

Please don't quote me but I think the head gasket will be different between the two engine variants.

It rings bells from many years back when a motor factors sold me the incorrect head gasket for a Mk.2 RS2000 and caused me loads of aggro until diagnosed correctly.

Stuart

Guest Takumi

The bore is different between the 1.8 and 2.0

but if you use the larger bored 2.0 gasket, its will still seal upto the chamber side of the 1.8, worth lining it up against it just to check.. make sure they dont over lap into the other cylinder chamberes though..

I havnt done this , let me know how it goes :) ( or doesnt. :( _

tak.