Sound Meter

Guest Ianz

Guest wizzyfartbum

hi, It was me asking about sound meters the other day. I had my test today and passed :D :lol: :D

I bought a sound meter from maplins and put it the correct distance away, but it gave a much lower reading than what i got on the 1st test (113db). so i moved it closer until it had the same reading and then stuffed it with scoures untill it was bellow 101. probably not the best way to do it but i passed with a reading of about 97 db.

now ive just gotta get regestration and other stuff sorted and im on the road :p (and ive gotta take a sound meter back to maplins coz it wasnt accurate enough ;) )

thanx for everyones help

BEN

Glad it passed Ben.

Remember that the dB scale is a LOG power one, i.e. for every 3 dB you go up, the power of the sound is doubling so 98 dB is half the energy of 101 dB. I think the equation is (20 log (max pressure wave / ambiant air pressure))

When people say they just 'scraped' through with 98 dB, they are actualy doing quite well in turms of audio power output.

Because your ears are also logarithmic and at these sorts of levels they are also saturated you won't hear a difference of 3dB.