Type 9 Gearbox

niduncan

I have recently changed my gearbox, which is dated 1983 (graunched into 2nd gear) to a gearbox that I bought on its own. I do not know what car/model it came from but it has a date stamp of 1988 on it.

After the change my speedo mileometer (VDO electronic fed from a sensor on the speedo drive cable) under read by 2 tenths of a mile.

I know there was a redesign of the Type 9 in 1987, did they also change the speedo drive gearing?

I have since re-callibrated the speedo so it indicates correctly but just curious to know if the speedo drive gearing had changed.

Guest warwick7735

Hi

I'd of thought that the speedo drives in the gearbox would alter to match whatever diff ratio or tyre combination was on the vehicle when it was produced.

Warwick

There is a little colour coded plastic gear in the back of the gearbox that drives the speedo cable. The speedo cable always turns at 1000 revs per mile. You need the plastic gear that matches your diff. Since you have swapped gearboxes you should also be able to swap the plastic gears over in the gearboxes.