Finished!

Guest timswait

Guest timswait

I've finally got the engine conversion from 1600 stock carbed to 2 litre injected up and running. Took much longer than anticipated, the main problem being the RHE exhaust manifold getting in the way of everything on that side of the engine bay. Had it running in time for Curborough, but broke down on the way. Travelled 120 miles up from Kent to get within 20 miles of the track but then suddenly overheated and refused to run cool. I suspected the thermostat so took it out by the side of the road, but then couldn't get the thermostat housing to go back on without leaking massive amounts of water. Had to get a tow truck home. I replaced the thermostat and added an expansion tank and now it seems to run fine. Massive amounts more power than the 1600, in fact almost exactly 50% more power, and very tractable useable delivery with decent fuel comsumption. I would definitely recomend a injection engine to anyone, but not so sure about the exhaust. An improvement over the twin tube, and maybe worth getting with the kit from the start, but trying to retro fit it is a nightmare. Still got bits to fiddle with but now (apart from fitting an air filter) they're mostly aesthetic.

post-6-1060524438.jpg

You may be interested in where I've put my air filter - get a "top hat adapter" for the front of your MAF sensor (flapometer air flow meter thingie) and a cone filter goes straight onto that. Then mount it vertically behind the radiator with a longer hose up to the throttle body. Photo's on my web site.

Some people want to get colder air to it so they get it round the side of the radiator and up into the nose cone, but I didn't do that.

Ant

Guest timswait

Still to fit air filter, I'll try and get it in the nose cone so it can draw cold air. I cut a hole in the bonnet for the plenum chamber, since I didn't want to loose any power by shortening it and don't like bulges or air scoops. I passed my SVA last year, so I don't have that to worry about. I've attached an image of the view down the bonnet.

post-6-1060622100.jpg

Guest timswait

Not too difficult to measure neatly. I put cling film over the plenum chamber and then a lump of blu tack on the higest point. Then carefully lowered the bonnet on, lifted it up, and the blu tack sticks to the underside of the bonnet (cling film stops it sticking to the chamber), you even get the edge of the plenum chamber imprinted on the blu tack so you know where to cut. It took about 4 or 5 more trial fits to get precise, just cutting it out a little more each time. Basically you end up with the middle left bank of louvres cut out, I just left the front one as a fairing over the front of the chamber. I also had to lower the throttle linkage braket, but that was fairly easy with a drill and a grinder. Then just snapped on a piece of chrome edge finisher and jobs a good 'un! The SVA man won't be impressed with sharp edges though. The edge of the hole may be OK if you use a suitable trim, but the lettering on the plenum chamber would probably fail. A scoop may be the only way to go for SVA compliance.

Guest Fred2b

I tried a similar setup to yours at first and even put a modified pancake filter on the front of the airvane box but I was never very happy with it. Other thoughts were to mount the filter in the nosecone but the last thing you want to do is reduce airflow through the radiator, these cars can overheat easily.

Eventually I copied someone elses idea ( I think was Ant ). Get a piece of 75mm dia hose to join the plenum chamber to the back of the airvane and mount it on the cross bar behind the radiator then fit a nice cone filter. It works well and looks good.

Picture on my website in the picture gallery http://ptaylor55.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Regards

Fred

Something which may help "bonnet bulge" or "bonnet hole" EFi people - I found that the vacuum outlets on the manifold were catching the bonnet when it's closed, so I removed them, pluged the holes with 1/4 bsp plugs, and then fed the brakes and the fuel pressure regulator (and my vacuum gauge) with T pieces onto a single vacuum source. This source is the small pipe on the bottom of the throttle body - unused in the Sierra setup.

May help someone.

Ant