Track Rod Ends

Guest chris.childs

Guest chris.childs

I have been told on good authority that the track rod ends on the end of the steering rack supplied by RHE with the 2B kit (Sliding Pilar) had the incorrect tapers on the track rod ends to fit correctly into the sierra stubaxials when fitted the "correct" way up (i.e. as per the sierra) - presumably assuming you are going to wiggle the drill arround to reverse the taper.

However as this seems to be an inherently unsafe practice I have avoided this and fitted them the correct way up.

This hovever means that the taper is too small and pulls through too far resulting in washers having to be used to pack the nut out. This also makes them incredably difficut to tighten and has recently caused the rubber to be destroyed by the stubaxial.

Does any one know the correct track rod end to use for the sierra stubaxial / RHE steering rack?

p.s.

sierra track rod ends are no good as the threads are handed and the RHE steering racks threads are NOT.

Hi Chris,

I don't think the Sierra track rod thred's are handed because I got some new locking nuts from my local nut & bolt place and used them, they were both RHT, if they were handed then I'd have noticed.

The actual track rod ends themselvs are handed to clear the wheel so if you were using them the wrong way up (nut at bottom) you could swap them over, but as you say this is a bad idea.

Guest chris.childs

Thanks, Ill have to double check on that. I was just going on what my local motor factor had told me, perhapse they just assumed due to each part having different part No.s that it was the thread that was handed.

Hello.

The Sierra track rod ends are not handed,but you still wont be able to use them.

The thread on the RHE supplied rack is far smaller than the Sierra one.

Piddy.

You could always talk to a friendly machining workshop type person and get an adapter made up. Then you can use Sierra track rod ends for ever more.

Just a thought.

Ant