Exhaust Wrap

Guest Fred2b

Guest Fred2b

I bought a 4m roll of exhaust wrap ( looks like soft fibre of some sort ) at Newark show earlier this year. It was in a plastic bag and presumably had been cut off a huge roll to sell shorter pieces. There are no instructions on how to fit it.

Does it need wetting first?

How do I secure the ends to stop unwrapping?

Can it be painted?

How far outside the car side wall should I wrap?

Any help guys?

Fred

Guest boggie

Hi Fred,

I have fitted the wrap and it works quite well but I wouldn't use it outside the body as you don't need to keep things cool there and it looks a little untidy no matter how well you fit it. It can be painted, I used exhaust manifold paint from Halfords.

Start at the point where the exhaust exits the body and wrap it around the pipe overlapping by about 1 cm as you go (rather like the tape on bicycle handlebars). Keep going until you get to the engine flange and secure it with a jubilee clip. Simple!

I got around 20 degrees engine bay temperature reduction and of course the more temerature you keep in the exhaust the easier gas flows, keeping pulse velocity high (apparently).

Hope that helps, Boggie

Guest SteveL

Ditto what Boggie said, and one more thing. Don't be alarmed by the amount of smoke which may come off the tape the first time you start the engine after applying it. The stuff I used smoked for ages, and turned a nice light brown colour!

Steve