Towing

Adrian

have got a date through for sva next week in chadderton, manchester.

and am wondering about towing the hood there, has anyone used a rigid tow on a hood before, if so where have connected to on the car.

thanks

Guest tom2b

Yes it does as the actual car is in contact with the road, same goes for using an A frame. If its not on a trailer it has to be taxed & insured. I dont know how this works with regards to going to SVA, you would atleast have to have it insured so your just aswell off driving it there

Guest scottie686

I've just had mine SVA'd (two weeks ago!) and queried with the SVA head office (08706 060440) what the current stance is for driving to and from SVA, as i'm an advocate for driving legality!! (dont wanna loose my licence before i even get the car on the road, kinda defeats the object!!). As the car is not registered you cannot purchase car tax. Providing the vehicle is insured (using the chassis number) you are legally entitled to drive the vehicle (un-taxed) to the a pre-arranged SVA test and if fails are legally allowed to drive the car to a pre-arranged appointment at a garage to have such failures rectified. It aslo states this at the bottom of the SVA appointment confirmation letter VOSA send you. If you have any queries PM 'enforcer', he seemed to be fairly 'wise' to the subject.

Also, can anyone confirm catagorically what is mean't to happen now re MOT's? I called DVLA re MOT and they advised that as the car is using a donor vehicle's parts (not brand new), and is registered on an age related plate an MOT is required every year, not in 3 years as a newly registered vehicle. I've heard many a conflicting opion on this, and even someone saying they have it in writting that an MOT is not required, I mentioned this and the chap i spoke said that this should not have been sent if the situation is as above.

Regards.

S.

Guest tom2b

You are correct with driving to sva & pre booked mot appointments on the chassis number alone aslogn as you have insurance. My insurance document also states this. The dvla inspector told me i wont need an mot for 3 years, to be honest with you there is so much conflict with regards to this i dont think even dvla know where they stand!

You are correct with driving to sva & pre booked mot appointments on the chassis number alone aslogn as you have insurance. My insurance document also states this. The dvla inspector told me i wont need an mot for 3 years, to be honest with you there is so much conflict with regards to this i dont think even dvla know where they stand!

You've hit the nail on the head there!

That's the problem, the various DVLA places don't all know what they are doing with kit-cars, because if you read the bunf that they have to work with, it talks as if all kit-cars are built from new bits, but hardly noticable is the part about kit-cars built from 2nd hand parts.

Now the truth is;..........

A car built from new bits (or with 1 reconditioned part) is classed as a NEW vehicle, and doesn't need an MOT for 3 years, ie. the original Superspec.

A kit-car built from 2nd hand parts is not a new vehicle, and therefore SHOULD have an MOT every 12 months, starting when 12 months old.

Now before all those that have had theirs SVA'd and "don't need an MOT" for the next 3 years shout up, that's because someone fresh from the JTS job course in the DVLA has screwed up, so shut up and keep Mum!

Guest Andy Rathbone

Drive it to SVA you are allowed, just take the appoinment letter that says you can(in little writting at the bottom)

As for MOTs when you get the reminder for your annual robbery disc it tells you on the bottom of that form if you need to produce a valid MOT cert, and so i have managed not to need one :D who am i to argue with the DVLA ;)

• 5 months later...

hi

drive the car to the sva ,

only prob is that if the car is deemed to be dangerouse ie bad fuel leak or something equaly dangerous the inspector can issue an order to the effect banning it from being driven home or to repair.

i only mention this as my inspector told me of an instance where he had to do this,only a couple of weeks prior to my test, .

good luck!!!!

regards graham

Guest peter2b2002

At Leyton Buzzard they let me drive my 2B there with insurance and a chassis No, that was in 2004 I will need a MOT next year 2007, so 3 years no MOT as on a new car, most insurance Co's will only insure you for about 30 days without a reg No.So hopefully you will pass 1st time,(mine took 2 goes to get through)

Pete2b