Rear Ride Height Set Up Super Spec

TonySuperSpec

I want to set the Superspec rear ride hieght approx right, it measures over 9 inchs at present ground to floor pan and the DVD states 7 inchs is more reasonable, allowing the rear wings to fit and look reasonable. At present the wings look as if they don't belong when I clamp them in place.

The problem is I have not for a good few years tried anything to do with coils springs. The last time was a McPheason strut on a old Cortina. Borrowed a set of coil spring compressors but they are much to heavy duty for the springs on the coil overs supplied by RH

Looked at a few other general purpose compressors and they all seem to big and heavy for the coil springs supplied....

What is the technique ? Do I have to compress the spings ? to move the upper mounts I assume you do otherwise surely the damper will just open and no chance to remount. How do you set up the springs final tension, the big nut under the bottom spring mount? Whats the technique ?

The actual mountings at the top on the rear of the SS have a lot of options. My RH supplied chassis had these set for max chassis ride hieght, i.e. the mounting on the damper assembly is into the bottom mounts on the chassis. It appears and the DVD implies these mounts can be moved to other holes in the chasis mount plate to set the ride hieght and by approx measurement that should get the floor pan height more realistic...

Any help description of procedure to do this would be most appreciatted since I am stuck for ideas on how to move them at present..

Thanks....

Hi Tony

I moved mine up one to the next hole on the chassis. (i tried it on the top one but the back end was too low, have a look in my garage section, as you'll see the wheel arches are too close to the wheels.

Middle one seems about right and I also wound up the suspension nuts by an inch.

It's quite easy to move it's positiion. Put a trolley jack and a thick lump of wood directly under the back panel and jack the chassis up so that the weight is taken off the suspension. Remove the nuts and bolts then lower the chassis down until the next set of holes match up. It's a bit fiddly but it can be done with the tank in place.

Hope I've made sense

Will