The Chassis Is In The Way !

Guest RH1

Hi all,

I have just fitted engine and box into my 2B produced in the year 2000, fits a treat with one exception, I am unable to fit the speedo cable due to the chassis upright being directly opposite the speedo mounting on the gearbox, I have about a 1 1/2 inch gap and no way will I get the cable into position let alone work.

Have heard of a right angled fitting that may possibly work, only other option is to re-position the engine mounts further back to allow enough room for the cable to pass the section of chassis, or fit an electronic speedo , anyone else come across this minor problem ?

Robert

Guest timswait

It was a while ago I did this bit, so I can't remember exactly, but I do remember the fitting of the speedo cable being very tight. However I just jammed it in with almost a 90 degree kink in the cable, and was slightly suprised when it worked fine! Touch wood, it's continued to do so for the 6000 miles I've done since finishing the car.

If that's the case I'd be looking at 90 degree take off adapters. Try Richfield speedograph in Nottingham, or another speedo reconditioner. They'll sell you what you need. I think Europa do them too.

Ant

Hi Robert.

Yes I have the same chassis as you ( Aug 2000 ). Cable is bang in line with the vertical tube. I wish I had known about the right angle thingies at the time, as my cure involved putting a small nick in the tube with an angle grinder.

There must have been a batch of chasses like this before they modified it and put the ''mousehole'' in. No doubt there are various solutions around by now.

HTH

John.