Front Wheels Are Not Inline

Guest Twoscoops

Guest Twoscoops

I have just assembled the front wishbone suspension and when I put a straight edge across the chassis from one wheel to another, the passenger front wheel sits back about 15mm from the drivers side.

Have I done something drastically wrong or it there some adjustment that I've missed.

Also, I cut the length of 13" threaded rod supplied with the kit (bought May 2003) for the steering rack and it appears to be too long. Has anyone else come across this and if so how long did you cut your lengths to..???

Many thanks

T.

Threaded rod - I cut mine in half, but I guess it depends on how long it is to start with. I can measure the distance from rack gaiter to track rod end nut on my car if you like - this will give you an approximate length to compare yours with.

On the alignment issue, I think you've got to assume that the box section at the bottom front of the chassis is the reference for the front suspension, and this should definitely be parallel with the top one, and with the angle sections for the upper and lower rearmost wishbone holes. After that, your wishbones should be a mirror image of each other - are they? If the front of the wishbones is a tight fit in the box section then the whole thing should line up. If it doesn't then perhaps the holes for the wishbones pivot bolts are further in on one side of the car than the other, hence the pivot axis of one wishbone isn't a symetric mirror to the other side.

Hmmm - lots of words. I picture would help but I haven't got one!

Ant

Guest TerryBarry

I cut the threaded rod in half - seemed to work out OK.

However my kit is June '02 and I think it uses a different rack to yours.

I've just checked the alignment using a straight edge across the lower square tube - it seems fine.

As Ant says, the position of the wishbones is controlled by their fit in the front box sections.

Have you tried checking the distance between the front and rear wheel centres - I did this sometime ago, the results were within 1mm.

Terry

Guest Twoscoops

Thanks for your replies guys.....I'll guess I have to check some measurements.

Ant, if you could measure the distance from rack gaiter to track rod end nut, that would be helpful.

Cheers

T.

• 3 weeks later...

I collected my 2b kit in May 2003 and was advised by Richard you no longer require the treaded rod as he's now suppling a new type rack??

Hope this helps

Droid

Edited by Big Jim

Guest Twoscoops

Talk about Richard changing his parts. Droid I too picked up my kit May 2003 and he sent me the threaded rod and new rack extendions cos mine didn't all fit together when i got home..