Putting Vinyl On Pipe Lagging

eddieH

Hi,

in order to radius and pad the lower edge of the dashboard, I've got some grey pipe lagging which is 40mm diameter. Does anybody have any tips on how to cover it with vinyl leathercloth without it creasing badly around the corners? I tried spray painting some of it black yesterday but the paint flaked off when fitting around the corners (do you think that applying primer first might help?). Until that happened it actually looked quite good!

Alternatively does anybody know a source of black pipe lagging? Thanks for your help!

Edward

Guest nightracer35

have you tried spray glue and a bit of leatherette? i have some off cuts of leatherette, if you tell me how much you need will see if i have a big enough piece.

ron

DashTrim.jpg

This is how I passed SVA - the examiner explained that he only wanted to see the larger radius on the horizontal bottom edge. Usual edge trim sufficed on the curved bits on both sides.

Of course the additional padded radius 'fell off' shortly after SVA :ph34r:

Not sure if covered pipe lagging would be ok though? Mine was 40mm waste pipe covered in leatherette cloth. I pushed a piece of split 40mm lagging inside the pipe which serves to clamp the whole thing tightly to the dash.

Hi,

thanks for your replies. I hadn't thought about using sprayglue (I've been using brush-on contact adhesive) - good idea! I've got loads of leatherette - I did an order from Woolies and wanted to make sure I had enough so ordered 5 metres of it. Having covered the boot lid, boot sides and dashboard I've still got about 3 metres left!

I hadn't realised that the radius only had to be on the horizontal edge - that would make things easier. I don't think I could squeeze edge trim around the sides though because the dash is 12mm thick ply. Your dash and instruments look quite similar to ours Enforcer - we didn't copy, honest! I'll post a picture of it later.

When is Donnington Barry? I've applied for my SVA test which should be in a couple of weeks. I might not get chance to get to Doni but we'll see.

Another thing I found in the garage is some old vacuum cleaner hose. It's flexible, large radius and black but it has ridges on it with a small radius. Presumably that wouldn't please the SVA examiner?

Cheers,

Edward

Hi I've never tried it but Rally Design list pipe lagging in loads of funky colours black red yellow silver orange and blue it is not concentric as designed for roll cages and the thicker bit is to cushion your head in the event of a ding. Might be worth a look?

£5 for 3 '

Edited by trextr7monkey

Hi,

thanks for all your suggestions and offers. I've ordered some of the black roll cage foam from Rally Design so that should arrive shortly. I'll let you know how I get on with it. I'll probably put a piece of vinyl-covered wastepipe over the horizontal bit like Enforcer has done as well. Thanks again.

Edward

Hi

I used lagging and trimmed in Leather. Used contact adhesive. Worked fine, you just need to shape the ends and cut them into small strips, then fold them inside the pipe lagging.

checkout the photos section (October 05) on my site if ya like

e

Hi,

just a quick update. The roll cage padding arrived from Rally Design but it is very large diameter. It doesn't look great because it doesn't conform around the corners especially well. However, for £5 it was definitely worth trying. If I get time I'll have another go with the thinner grey pipe lagging and vinyl (taking a bit more care this time!). Cheers,

Edward

Hi,

I finally got round to finishing the dashboard edge this morning. I used the spray-on Evostik Impact glue and I think it has worked quite well. It has still creased a bit around the corners but it's much better than my previous attempts. So, that's one more item ticked off the list of things to do! Thanks for your advice. Cheers,

Edward

post-988-1158060083_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest golfgtidarren
Hi,

I finally got round to finishing the dashboard edge this morning. I used the spray-on Evostik Impact glue and I think it has worked quite well. It has still creased a bit around the corners but it's much better than my previous attempts. So, that's one more item ticked off the list of things to do! Thanks for your advice. Cheers,

Edward

Whats all the fuss about

All mine has around it is rubber door seal from a standard car-- why not use that from your donor car ??

Darren

Guest chris brown
Whats all the fuss about

All mine has around it is rubber door seal from a standard car-- why not use that from your donor car ??

Darren

I dont think you will get the required 19mm rad using door seal