Bike Carbs

Guest jasonmorris

Guest jasonmorris

I want to fit bike carbs as opposed to Weber 45's. I have read that Yamaha R1 or Kawasaki ZX9R ones are best as they have 39mm choke sizes. Is this true? My engine spec is as follows:

Pinto 2.1

Lightened and balanced bottom end

ported head

piper fast road cam

There seems to be much opinion on which to go for. I have the oportunity of some 900 Kawasaki ones from a friend, but am unsure as to whether to purchase them.

Also has anyone used Yamaha FZR1000 carbs?

Help!

Jazzy

Edited by Jazzym

I looked into R1 carbs when buying mine but was sujested I went for zx6R type (36mm) but your engine is a bit more fettled thn mine so the R1's will proberbly suit better, ive got a link on the work PC that tells you choke sizes for loads of bikes, seams everyone is after R1's but there might be something else with 39mm chokes, ill post it up tomorrow

Guest jasonmorris

Apparantly ZX9R's have 39mm ones and FZR1000's have 38mm Mikunis,

Got a chance of the Kawasaki ones, should i bite the bullet?

I will send them off to Bogg's for jetting and a manifold.

Jazzy

i would the zx ones seam a bit more compact than the R1's not to mention when i spoke to bogg they said they were buying Kawasaki carbs now because R1's are going for silly money so there familer with them

Guest hypermick

There are lots of Mikini's on offer but you should bear in mind firstly the relevant sizes of the ports you are working with on the head.

The average pinto head has 37mm openings. The ideal way is to try to match the manifold with the head and the opening on the manifold venturii to the carb outlets. Dont be tempted to go oversize, since all you do is restrict everything in the middle of the flow :( which is utterly pointless and will lead to detraction in power not an increase. :blink:

36mm and 38mm carbs are ideal and can be rejetted accordingly.

Other postings have mentioned this previously particularly when using Weber or Dellorto (DCOE style) carbs which though rated as 40 and 45 in size, refers to the full size of the choke tube without the choke in place. When setting these up, again the common choke sizes are 36-38mm.

Follow on from this and you wont go far wrong. ;) Mikuni flat slides seem the favourite choice but essentially a well looked after alternative type and set will do a good job and should give excellent results. Keihins are the other make you can also consider.

Mick

Guest erichetherington
I looked into R1 carbs when buying mine but was sujested I went for zx6R type (36mm)

Can I ask if these worked ? And if so what jets etc. you needed . I picked a set up on ebay [well at £10.50 it was rude not to!] won't be fitting them for a while but I thought I'd ask.

Guest jasonmorris

Spoke to Pete at Bogg Bros today, he recommended R1, ZX9R, ZX12R or Blackbird carbs. I also asked him why bike carbs are better and he says the fueling is more efficient than Webers or Dellorto's, with no spitting back and a lot cleaner and faster throttle response.

The will charge me for cleaning and re-jetting the carbs, then machining a manifold, plus fitting and set-up, all in it's about £500 - £600.

Are there any cheaper options for the manifold and are they easy to fit, meaning i only need Bogg Bros to do the re-jetting and the rolling road set-up?

Jazzy

Guest hypermick

No surprises there then, since the manifolds are all made as one off's.

Jazzy,... the carbs you bought,........could I ask you to do some measurements off them ?

If possible measure the distance from the outer edge of the choke tube at one end (carb 1) to the outer edge of the choke tube at the other end, at (carb 4). (engine side please). Also the measurement from the first outside edge again (carb 1) to the furthest outer edge of (carb 2) same choke tubes engine side.

I have an idea,............ I have a set here but need a second set of measurements too to compare.

thanks

Mick.

Sorry,. my mistake the question was for Rich Etherington,.

Can you help Rich ?

Sorry Jazzy !

Mick.

Guest MrSandman

I have R1 carbs on my Pinto.

They work very well and give good power and good low rev performance. The only problem I have is that it runs too rich just off tickover, around 1/8 throttle. I can't weaken it off enough on the mixture screw which means the pilot jets are too big .I can't find anyone who sells smaller ones and they are too long to solder and redrill as my needle drills are quite short.

If I can fix this then they are superb!! and the intake side is just right for the addition of weber 40 ram pipes if you can't get the originals.