Q Plate ?

Guest Andybarbet

Guest Andybarbet

Being slightly confused on the above issue, i will be using everything off of a single donor sierra so will i get to keep the G reg plate ?

Read a few old posts and got the impresssion that i could be issued a Q plate ?

Also if i don't get a Q plate, will i be given my sierra's reg no. or a new G reg number ?

Yours slightly miffed !!

Andy....

Guest mickmellors

It is normal to be issued an 'Age Related' Registration Mark providing you can prove the donor cars history. This is best done by V5 document, old MOT Certs, Old Tax discs etc.

It is also wise to take photos of the VIN Plate (under bonnet) and Chassis stamp (under carpet by drivers seat) and engine number stamp while they are still on the donor. I was advised to remove the Vin Plate and cut out the Chassis stamp taking photos part way through the removal and at the end too - any evidence you have will help avoiding Q plates.

Once you are issued a Q you are stuck with it.

Original numbers from the donors have been issued to Kits but this is far from normal.

An age related plate can be changed later for personalised numbers etc.

There is A1 5 UBK driving around on a nice SUB K

Guest Andybarbet

Thanks Mick, we must be the only two awake now. (Shiftwork is my excuse !)

Have just e-mailed for joining details to Tim & i'm going to my local meeting in north herts this Sunday.

Is it all down hill from here ???

So then,

Andy:

Has your g reg donor got a pinto in it? also is it 2 litre?

Secondly anyone,

There is a G reg 2.0 kicking around by me and by the looks should be about ready for passing on to me for the right price (owned by an old colleague of my mum). It's reg is G*** TDM (my initials)

So if i were to buy it, take the plate off that, as a cherished number, then use it the sierra with it's new plate as a donor with the above plate on retention, build the hood, register it, then swap the plate back onto the hood, would that work? Has anyone tried it?

If the engine isn't pinto, can a pinto engine no. be put onto the V5 before commencing the build?

Sorry for the list bit, but I need to know wether my plan will hold water, or I'll just end up getting p****d on.

TIA

Morty

Guest Andybarbet

Yes, it's a pinto - so i've been told (still haven't seen it) but at £100 i cant complain, its got 50,000 genuine miles on it with history, 3 months MOT and runs nice.

And apparently the chap i'm buying it from (a good friend of my father inlaw) is also a stippler for keeping his cars well serviced.

I'ts only a 1.6 but has the correct gearbox and will do me until i can convice the wife to give me some more pocket money !!

Just gotta save up for the kit now............ :(

:lol:

Guest mickmellors

Simple check for Pinto -

Exhaust manifold is on drivers side - reason for all the leg burns mentioned in other threads ! ! ! !

Memo to self - dont wear shorts ! !

Guest 2BBoulton

Morty,

Swpping the plates should work without too much problem. I think the cost of transfer is about £80 a time. I don't know how much retention costs.

If the car you are looking at dosent have a pinto you can allways buy the car, change the plates, sell it and get a new doner costing less. Providing the new doner is the same age or new you wont have any problems putting the plates held on retention onto your car.

Clear as mud then!!

Bruce

I can confirm that.

I was due to be issued with an age related B plate when my 2b was registered this year. I notified the guy at the local VRO who was dealing with it that I wanted to use a cherished B plate that I already owned.

This was fine, and my number was allocated, no problem.

Saves being issued with one of theirs at random, and then having to transfer yours onto it later.

Guest cjbailey

Will that not cause problems if you ever want to take that plate off the car, I am no expert on this, but from speaking to the DVLA I have found many niggly bits within their system which cause a lot of hassle!!!

Your right, my number is ''not transferable'' but I thought that was because I had bought it from the DVLA website and it came with that condition on it.

In your case, you acquired the number from another vehicle.

I'm no expert but a call to the VRO should clarify everything (!!!!!!!)