Inertia Reel Steatbelts

Guest GJR

Hi all,

When taking the 4 sets of inertia reel seatbelts from my donor the spring inside caused them to reel all the way into the housing almost right up to the connector locking there :o . Now I do not have enough slack to back them off to release the mechanism to allow the belts out.

Has anyone had any similar issues with the belts and did you manage to release the mechanism so they can be reused? If so how?

Thanks in advance

Gareth

Guest Petemate

Spot on Guy. We used to have this problem at (then!) Leyland years ago, problem probably exists to this day. Idiots used to wind them right back and we had a struggle to get them to extend again. I currently have a pair of nice, obviously virtually unused, rear belts from a Rover 827 that I'm in the process of making some framework for the boot of our Roadster to support and they have to be precisely vertical, well, within a few mm any direction, to extend. Great fun when stood on one's head in the boot trying to plan the position.....

Pete

P.S. IIRC, some after-market inertias come with a facility to adjust the position for tailoring the angle of dangle.

Guest chris brown
They only come back out if you hold them exactly vertically. Try holding them vertically and give them a little tap.

Not as easy as it sounds especially if they have pulled in tight as they need a little slack to get them to release but once you have got them freed use half a clothes peg (the type with the spring) they seem to have just the right taper so when pushed in towards the reel it will jam it and stop the belt running all the way in again.

Best solution is to throw them in the bin and use some good four point harnesses. I know i certainly wouldnt want to be wearing an inertia reel seatbelt if i had an accident in the hood!