Cossy Lump

Guest owenpilson

Guest owenpilson

just an idea i'm toying with .....

how much work would be involved to change my 2l pinto engine(carb) to a cossy lump

would it be easier to go down the twin 45 route or keep the throttle bodys.

if i got rid of the turbo what would the power output be.......?

if i kept the turbo would the car be unusable?

would it be able to mate with the 4speed box , and it it did would i be picking up cogs off the floor every 200yards.

owen.

Guest boggie

The cosworth head has narrow ports for the turbo version. If you want to go normally aspirated then you will need to find someone brave enough to grind out the ports for you without going into the oil / water ways. There was a normally aspirated DOHC cosworth head for the early pintos (possibly called a warrior head?) but they are very rare.

On the subject of mating a 4 speed gearbox to a cossie engine I would not advise it. The 4 speed box is not rated to the level of torque the turbo engine puts out. Use a Borg Warner T5 box.

My advice would be to use the complete turbo cosworth with gearbox and use the rear differential from a 2.0L 4x4. You will then have to think carefully about heat build-up and ventilation. I have had all sorts of fuel vaporisation problems, even without a turbo! Fit a Facet fuel pump and a Malpassi filter in the boot, if you put them in the engine bay they will get very hot and turn your petrol to gas!

Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest paul mercer

would definately advise the cossie engine purely as it looks so nice. i've built my car, well almost. the engine is all in and running(well it was until a friend filed the battery terminal and the body last weekend)

things you will have to do, some of which are obvious

mount engine 25 mm further back ( gives more clearance for throttle linkage and i think i will need more weight at the back)

use a t5 gearbox ( one in fast ford this month. expect to pay £300 up)

use 4wd manifold as it is smaller

alternator catches ( does on all 2b's though.)

need to get custom exhaust made. not that hard.

if using a cosworth donor you'll need to change

master cylinder . i had a bit of trouble fitting the abs, although if you want to, now i know what to do, it's fairly easy.

apparently the front brakes dont fit too well. i used 2lt glx as a donor so not certain

different intercooler. ( got a spare one if you want(the right type))

things i've been told but not certain on

get an overheating problem. need bigger radiator

if you want to chat about this further or want to pop over and have a look, feel free. can e-mail photos if interested

paul 07956 944 840

If you have a look on Dave Andrews page you should pick up some info on the cossie lump.

Also just a note on the "Warrior head" AFAIK it's still available, I contacted them couple of years ago, it's an excellent product but .. :o (ARE YOU SITTING DOWN ?) its around two grand and you need other bits as well, unless you can get one second hand.

Guest too much power??

I've got a cossie in my 2B and it is absolutely mental,

be warned if you dont like speed or have a large will to live then this engine is not for you!

built mine last year with a cosworth striaght away, silly silly power

paul is correct on all the aspects he listed, impressed that got the abs unit to fit!!

mine runs a bias box, seemed the easiest solution at the time (fantastic for rolling burn outs!)

i managed to get the standard intercooler to fit, bit of a squeeze but it will just go in.

radiator proved to be a few problems in the first 6months, now got a massive one and loads of ducting, temp gauge never goes above 80 at the moment, so just fitting a decent rad with no restriction will sovle most probs.

the back end off the cosworth is worth getting as it has more positive camber than a standard sierra one, so when its in a r'hood the wheels sit straight up not at 45 degrees inwards! (can be very usefull with that much power)

one off a xr4*4 has got the slipper and rear discs but im not sure on the camber, if keeping to a reasonable level of power xr one should be fine but if mods are on the cards im not sure how much power a xr axle can take (could be wrong may be fine up to 400bhp)

moving the engine back may well be the best way to get extra clearance, mine is on the origional mounts but i've had to modify the throttle body quite alot.

car can get you into a lot of trouble, mine is stage three chipped running 1.3bar of boost, whilst going along in third gear and floor it, the tyres light up and the back goes all over the place!!

great fun but rather dangerous, in the wet dont even bother, every gear spins the wheels even in fifth at 70mph!

any more questions feel free, to ask havent been on message board for about a year, too busy with uni and driving kit sideways!! :blink:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mr Pid

Look through the freeads for write off, do what "too much power" did and by a complete car, then you know that everything is compatable.

If you go to a breakers you can never be sure that you are getting genuine stuff, and most cosie stuf is still as hot as chilli sauce so be careful. if you do get anything from a breakers make sure you get a receipt and if you can a guaruntee.

Good Luck :D