Thermo-thingy Fan

Guest bloke

engine in time approaching and having seen a few cars on sat at donny there doesnt look like much room under the bonnet for this fan

should i remove it and if so how (1.5 hrs lost trying) theres got to be a trick to this one?????????

hope someone can help

:blink:

Guest TerryBarry

If you've got a Haynes manual - it explains the method of removing the fan(Ch 3 section 12).

If not - you need a 32mm spanner (preferably cranked)

But you can get normal spanner in if you remove two of the pulley bolts.

Clamp pulley using old fan belt & Mole wrench - or strap wrench if you have one

Give spanner a good tap.

The fan is on a left hand thread :ph34r: .

Once loosened you can wind the thing off

It worked for me using a normal spanner :rolleyes: .

Terry

You can buy a specially shaped spanner from most motorfactors which does make life a little easier-usually they come off no probs, but i did have one on one of my engines i butched to pieces and still couldnt get it off- ended up chucking the hole lot away, water pump included!! :(

Good luck

Stu :rolleyes:

Another thing i just remembered, my fan sits very close to the rad. About 5mm away from it and when the engine shifts under load sometimes it used to get trapped underneath the top lip of the rad. Stopping it altogether.

This i thought cannot be a good thing.

Unfortunately if i could have fitted the rad closer to the nose cone i would but i am severly lacking in space. Might have to build a deflector for the rad or chop the fan even more.

I have fitted two more fans in the nose cone so hopefully i should get all the cold air i need whilst sat in traffic.

HTH

Stu :rolleyes:

To be honest you'll probably end up replacing the water pump anyhow. If the engine hasn't run for a few months and hasn't had coolant in it then the bearing seals is most likely shot. Mine leaked as soon as I filled it up in the 2B, and the engine had only been out of the donor for 6 months.

Ant