Filler Neck

Guest timswait

Guest timswait

I've got a plastic tank from Chris Gibbons, the tank's great, but I can't work out how to fit a filler neck without it leaking. The tank has a 50mm od outlet on the top, and all it need is a 90 degree bit of tubing to link to the sierra cap. I've tried modifying the Sierra neck, but it leaks like hell. I've tried plumber's merchants, DIY stores, motor stores, the only place to sell 90 degree elbows seems to be demon thiefs, and they want 20 quid for a bent bit of tube, and I've still got to seal the cap fitting on the end of it. Surely it can't be this hard to find a bent bit of tube, how have you guys done it? Incidentally on the old RHE tank I used a modified Sierra neck and a mountain of body filler and epoxy to stop the leaks, but surely there's a better way?

Guest jwaterman

i used some 50 mm stainless steel dairy pipe a short straight and a 90 degree bend welded together with a flange on the other end. fits really well no leaks. I may be able to find a 90 and some straight at work, if you want one! you will have to make up a flange.

john

I used the 50mm metal pipe that came with the kit, it was totaly the wrong shape so I cut and welded it into a new shape and it fits fine now. I had to seal the welds with 'fuel tank sealer' and I sealed the 50mm rubber gromet to the pipe with blue hylomar. Seems okay.

I've got the same as Piddy - 50mm fuel filler neck hose from Europa at 88p per inch, + VAT :o . Not cheap, but it doesn't leak, and you can bend it where you like. I think I bought about 18 inches, but I cut some off that later. Measure a dozen times and buy once :)