Flow Damper ?

Guest Phil Slater

Guest Phil Slater

Hi folks

Nigel (Longboarder) called round this afternoon to see how my build was pro - (or is it Re) - gressing.

I'm trying to fit fuel pumps and swirl pots etc into the smallest amount of space I can in the boot area, and we got to talking about the "Flow Damper" stuck on the end of my injection pump - see photo- it looks a bit like the fuel presure regulator. Nigel used an injection engine in his Series 3 build - though he put carbs on it - and he can't remember ever having a flow damper on his donor. So, we began to speculate as to just how important it was. At the end of the day we don't know the answer - but maybe someone out there does??

So, can anyone tell us just what the "Flow Damper" does and could it be removed without to much negative effect.

Any info on this will be gratefully received.

TIA

Phil Slater

post-7-1064088801.jpg

Guest Robin Allison

It just acts as damper on the pulses from the pump and helps the fuel pressure regulator control the pressure better. you could probably do away with it, but the boffins at ford did have them fitted!!

Rob...

It was fitted to my donor, but the donor fuel pump was shot by the time I fitted it to the 2B. I looked at replacements and got a third party pump which recommended not using the damper. The engine rigs where I work also use the Bosch fuel pumps, and it's not common practice to fit the dampers. On the early injection pumps then maybe, but more modern ones don't.

My advice - if you have space then fit it, but if ever you replace the pump then the chances are it'll go.

Ant

Guest Phil Slater

Thanks for that fellers.

That's kind of what Nigel came toteh conclusion it did.

Nigels visit and comments sparked off a new line of thought for me with regard to fitting all the bits. It's amazing how you can puzzel over "all the possible options", quite literally for hours, and then someone with a fresh perspective comes along and can open up a new way of doing things. Anyway, I will now have space for the damper so I'll leave it in place till I have to replace the pump. Hopefully not for many years to comer!!??!!

Phil Slater