Rear Coilovers.

Guest Phil Slater

Guest Phil Slater

Folks

Having taken the floor out of my boot (hopefully for the last time), to ease the placement of my fuel pipe runs, my eye was drawn to the wells in the rear wishbones in which the rear coilovers are located. In there was quite a collection of swarf, other bits of rubbish and something that looked like a big ball of belly-button fluff - it couldn't be - could it??!!?? This was easily remedied with the use of the hoover.

But, not for the first time, I wondered about what would happen once my 2B is on the road - and in the rain - the wells are going to fill with water!! i.e. with the coilovers supplied with my kit, the lower fixing is basically a length of threaded rod through the hole in the well bottom with a rubber bush/spacer above and below the hole. Once the nut on the bottom is tightened, the hole is sealed, and there is no drainage, which is potentially going top leave an inch or two of water slopping round the bottom of my coilovers.

So a couple of questions for those with 2B's on the road:

Is this something that is a problem that I should be concerned with?

If so, has anyone come up with an ingenious plan for creating drainage given that because, the wishbones are hollow section it's not simply a case of drilling a hole through? I've consider drilling a hole and somehow fixing/sealing in a length of tubing to bridge the hollow section. But why re-invent the wheel if someone else has already got a solution?

So, any comments, suggestions or solutions will as always be gratefully received.

TIA

Phil Slater

I've not concerned myself with it, but I see what you mean. They will probably collect water. If you're concerned about it then I suggest a couple of well placed drill holes. Small in diameter so as not to weaken it too much. 2 or 3mm should be fine. Then give it a lick of paint to protect the bare metal.

Ant

Guest jwaterman

i have drilled holes, they get blocked with small stones and other stuff from the road. don't worry about it anymore. I don't give the water a chance to stay there with the bumpy roads i have around norfolk!

Clean it out when you service it. A quick smear of oil or grease will stop it rusting.

John