I Love This Car!

Guest Daz

I got my 2b through the SVA last Easter and loved driving it around all last Summer. It was such a buzz. There was one or two things I wanted to improve over Winter, but was apprehensive about whether I was capable of actually doing it. I tried anyway.

The 'Plan' was to modify the cooling system, then replace the cylinder head for a one from an injection head so I could use unleaded fuel, and at the same time swap the carburettor and its associated big engine management unit, the dizzy and the camshaft. Quite a task really. It was such an onerous task that I kept putting the jobs off until about a month ago :unsure: , when the break in the weather made me realise just what I was going to miss. I got started.

Changing the cam was a lot easier than I had imagined it to be. It fitted really easily into the 'new' head. The cam kit even came complete with gaskets, followers, springs and allsorts. I sourced a part of the loom of a known serviceable Sierra, complete with dizzy, engine management unit, coil, HT leads and engine sensors - all for a tenner, and fitted them in a day and a half. The replacement carb was a Solex twin-38 choke from a Capri or Granada for £20 for a pair of them (to make one good one). It seemed to be ok, but turned out not to be :angry: . The cooling modification was needed to get round the problem of having to slide the radiator in at an angle between the wishbone set-up and always seeming to be running hot. I replaced the Cortina rad for a 4-Core mini radiator fitted upright in the nose. Oh yeah, and I played around with the rear suspension set-up too.

The MOT came and went and it became apparent that the carb was a bag of nails. It was running permanently lean and could not be adjusted and it was going to be £50 for an overhaul kit with no guarantee of success. I hunted around for a second hand or reconditioned Weber 38 DGAS. No luck. I had to dip into the 'Emergency Kit-Car Slush Fund' and got a new one from www.carburettors.co.uk They provided very good service. It arrived today, I fitted it and went out for the first blast of the year in the glorious sunshine.

It is like a different car. It is so responsive compared to the bog-standard version. This summer is going to be top. I am even thinking of booking Le Mans again now that I have renewed interest in the car. :D :D :D

And the cooling mod is superb. The needle hardly ever gets above the 'M' in Norm, even with the car idling on the drive in the blaring southern heat for about 20 mins while I tuned the idle controls on the carb. I will take some digi photos tomorrow and post them in the mods forum.

I am so happy :D

Daz

Guest Tim Norman

I did some thing fairly close to that at the back of last year. I managed to source a pair of brand new 48's, Aldon distrbuter and Optronic ignition. I even decided to refit my Road Rally cam into the stage three head. Once running I had it rolling roaded. The numbers are just that numbers, it is how it performs on the road that counts. Bob will tick over like a sewing machine at 900rpm :D ! The big difference is on the road the difference is absolutely phenominal. To be able to drop two gears at 70 and nail it and just feel Bob squat and hurtle into the distance is undescribable. I took a new member to our last meeting and when I nailed it in second and then al the way through the gears all he could say that are allowed on this site are "my feet were lifted of the floor". I don't know what that means but I still maintain you can't beat the smiles per mile you get get for a Hood or the bangs per £ over the now "Slower" more expensive other makes.

I'm not sure if this is a proper reply to Daz but I know exactly what he meas when he says "I love this Car"

Roll on even warmer weather. (Not that it has stopped me so far this year.

For those who like numbers 140bhp at the wheels and 5 mpg if I really try!!

Cheers

I intend to get the car on a rolling road to get the car fine tuned. At the moment everything has been set up without the benefit of any test equipment at all. It seems to run as sweet as a nut, but I want to make sure.

Fir those interested in 2b cooling, the promised photos of the radiator mod are in the modifications forum.

Daz

Guest alan rowe

Hi Daz

I know exactly what you all mean -- grins per mile and loving every minute of driving my Hood is a definite

I bought my bright yellow S7 last April and its the best thing I have ever done. So far I've driven about 2500 miles and everyone of them great fun and I agree with you Tim when anybody has had a ride with me their reaction when I floor it in 2nd is brilliant ( and it still turns me on as well)

As I bought mine ready built I wanted to check all was well and it was set up AOK so I too had it rolling road tested

After some carb adjustment and refining the timing the man gave me an extra 32 bhp -- its now 240 at the wheels (sorry Tim)

I couldn't wait this year for the warmer weather -- its worth getting frozen solid just to enjoy the power -- its like a drug on wheels I love it

Alan Rowe

ps - if anybody wants to see what my yellow peril looks like there's some pictures on www.freewebs.com/sg7skitcars

Guest Graham

Hi Tim,

Were all these changes really worth while if you only get 5MPH????, I hope that was 5 MPG. If not I'll stick to the standard Sierra set-up. Fun aside. Arn't these cars magic, the sun was shining all day, the boy and I managed over 200 miles. with lots of admiring glances. My machine may not be quite as fast as your 140 BHP but its still great fun.

Hoping to see you all at Stoneliegh or Newark.

All the best

The Jock and his boy from north of the border.

Guest Tim Norman

The 5mpg only happens if I really cane it! Most of the time Bob returns about 20-25mph. Not quite the 34mpg I got with the DGAS but then I only drive the car a few times a month so economy aint really that much of an issue.

Still bloody good fun though.

Cheers