Rubber Boots 2

Guest nippykev

Guest nippykev

Hi all

As previously suggested I have bought a set of stretchy boots for my drive shafts.

The parts man would only let me have a cone to fit them with if I bought 10 boots.

Any ideas on how to fit them without a cone?

Also is the bag of grease that comes with the boots for packing the joint or to help fit them?

Kevin

2b may 2003 collection

The grease is for packing the joint. It is possible to fit them without a cone just really awkward. Someone will sell you a cone. I got mine with just one boot. Cost about a tenner from a small motor trade parts supplier.

Maybe theres someone who uses this site from Coventry that can lend you a cone.

I'm in Leicester - if your passing you can borrow mine.

This is obvious but smear some fairy liquid over the bottle to lubricate it.

Another thought, some cotton comes on a spindle type thing that is big enough to do want you want and they are quite strong and plus they won't crush like a squash bottle (see what I did there...crush...squash...never mind). :huh:

Guest mickmellors

John White made a very successful cone from a piece of tin which if I remember rightly was cut from a biscuit tin lid or something similar and then pop riveted together to keep its shape and rigidity.

Work out the cone angle with a sheet of paper and once you have the right cone shape, stab carefully through with the point of a ball point pen to give you an idea where the rivets need to be. Flatten out the paper and use it as a template to cut out the tin, drilling holes where they need to be for the rivets.

A great lubricant is silicone, which is the main ingredient in things like 'flash dash' and 'back to black' type aerosols for rejuvenating plastic bumpers etc and can be bought at any motorist shop.