Correct Oil For Type 9

Guest tom2b

Guest tom2b

Yes ive tried that and its fine.

If you double de clutch to change gear it goes in fine, this and many other factors lead my to believe that its knackered baulk rings

looks like the bearings were reconned but the baulk rings werent so its a con of a recon!

Guest tom2b

Ive sent 2 emails to maintrain transmissions ltd and tried ringing all day with no reply, but there ebay shop is still active. getting a bit worried now................

Guest Ace Fettler

Type 9 boxes are known to suffer from sticking baulk rings. A Ford solution to the problem was to switch to a synthetic gear oil in place of the usual mineral stuff. This solution certainly worked on my Exmo which sufered from a reluctance to change smoothly from 3rd to 4th, especially when the box was cold. Changed to syntheic oil and no more crunches.

Richard

Guest Ace Fettler

Quite notchy when cold but not too bad when hot. At the time I was about to strip the box to investigate when the Service Manager in the local Ford dealer told me about the synthetic oil swap. I believe It is also mentioned in the Haynes manual for the Sierra. Will check when I get home tonight

Guest tom2b

I cant believe it, the problem appears to magically disappeared, i felt a bit stupid as i drove it monday and it was bad, 1 of my friends drove it tuesday and it was really notchy, wednesday someone else drove it and said what are you moaning at its fine. Longboarder and i both drove it yesterday and it seems to have sorted itself out!

Hopefully thats the end of the problem.