Sump Mods

Guest Paul S Usowicz

Guest Paul S Usowicz

Hi All

I am about to shorten my sump but also want to baffle the sump to stop oil surging on sever braking/acceleration/cornering. Does anyone have any advice on this, or piccys of their modified sump? Also do you only paint the outside of the sump? What would you use - Hammerite, enamel, powder coating???

Cheers

Paul S Usowicz

My sump already had one baffle in it. I added another one by simply spot welding a piece of scrap to the inside. It's pretty much symetric to the original one in the deep section. The only thing to watch out for is that there is enough space between the two of them to fit the oil catch pipe and strainer.

A couple of other bits to watch out for - make sure you cut the original side part where the expansion box welds on to so that oil will get into it. If the cuts are smallish then this acts as a third baffle too. Also, just below the top of the expansion box drill a couple of small holes through the original sump wall. This is to allow air to leave the expansion box as it fills up with oil from the bottom. Otherwise it's like putting an upside down container into some water ... the water won't go in until the air comes out.

Eureka and all that.

Regards painting, the inside won't rust because it's coated in oil! I painted the outside with hamerite, but everybody else on this site will slate me for doing that because it does indeed chip very very easily. High temp engine paint would be best, or enamel would do the job nicely.

Ant