Petrol Tank

Guest DROID

Hi Folks,

Just at the stage of fitting the petrol tank and, I was wondering the best method of doing this, do you fit the back panel first so can align the new type filler neck?? I see from other info that some builders fit a piece of ply between the back panel and the petrol tank, is this for securing the tank to??

Any help is much appreciated......

Thanks

Andy :unsure:

Guest TerryBarry

I fitted the tank (RHE 40 litre) before the rear panel. It would be difficult to get the tank and mountings in if the panel was in place.

I made up a platform using 18mm exterior ply to support the tank - this rests on the two tubes at the rear and has small spacers to get the platform near horizontal.

The ply is secured to the tubes using four M8 coach bolts

The ply is protected with primer and two coats of matt black paint.

The tank sits with a sheet of 2mm bituminised adhesive material between it and the platform.

There are two 20 x 2mm aluminium straps around the tank - these have 1mm butyl sheet between them and the tank. I also fitted U shaped brackets at each end to prevent it moving sideways and two clamp plates keep the top flange against the down tubes.

The rear panel position is controlled by the two cut outs that go over the spare wheel support.

It's a tight fit between tank and panel where the end panel curves round at the rear.

HTH

Terry

Just found a pic showing nearside corner

Guest Battery Bill

Dont ask us!

Our Chris Gibbons is still sitting loosley in the Boot area.

Surely its just a matter of rigging up some angle and clamping it in?

I must admit not looking forward to drilling the holes in the tank.

Just like the first hole in the chassis I suppose (Scarey).

Anyway Nippykev "Slow down" we got our kit in November and we have still not fitted the tank. Not finished the bloody electrics yet.

:(

Guest Mike Perry

I've got to this stage as well. I was trying to avoid fitting exterior panels until near the end in order to ovoid damage.

But I guess that I'll have to fit the rear panel now so that I can work out the position of the fuel tank (Chris Gibbons tank) in relation to the fuel filler.

Next question is where to site the injection fuel pump?

Any suggestions?

Guest Battery Bill

I was looking at this tonight we think we will have to make up some bracket to hold it below the tank(RH side) and atttach it to one of the

chassis rails on that side. I think the inertia switch will be held in a similar fashion/position.

Guest graham dockerill
:unsure: Put the 40 litre tank in as per Terry then rear panel, some time later I am now putting rear wings on and rather than drill through tank (it's very close to rear panel fold) I moved tank up to just above diff while I drilled and fixed wings. Then when wings are installed tank will be put back in place (remember not to fix filler neck in tank initially as I did.) regards Graham

I like the sound of the way you fitted your tank Terry. I had just got to stapping my tank down and found that the ends of the tank hang below the bottom of the back panel. Didn't look neat!! It wasn't too secure either...

I think I will use your idea....

Nige

Guest TerryBarry

Nige,

That's the idea of this group.

I wouldn't claim my method as original - just can't remember who I "borrowed" it from.

You could also consider making a rectangular frame using angle welded together - and sitting the tank in this. This frame would locate the tank in two directions and only need some clamping to stop it jumping up and down.

I've fitted the supplied filler cap and pipe - that is going to need some more thought - it enters the tank at an 'orrible angle. I intend cutting the supplied pipe and fixing some flexible tube between it and the tank.

Terry

In this pic the entry angle looks better than it is in real life