Insurance

stevedohc2b

My 17 year old son is looking at getting a car.

If we insure as wife and son as named driver, what haopens about her protected NCD on her car she drives now?

Can you have 2 tin top cars with NCD?

With the Hood i dont get any NCD just my tin top.

Is the NCD attached to driver or policy ?

Thanks

Stephen

Guest jhfozzy

When I got my third car (Wifes commute, My commute & Toy) The insurance company said that they will give me the same NCD (7 Years) as my current car as a "goodwill gesture"

But...... It will not be transferable between different companies.

So if I leave them, either I will have to re-negotiate another "goodwill gesture" or stay with the current company.

Hope this helps and remember to shop around, I had quotes ranging from £1200 to £6000!!!!

moneysupermarket dot com found the best quote in the end, just be careful what they exclude to get the prices down.

John.

Have you tried having it in his name with your wife as a named driver - it makes a huge difference to his premium - and HE builds up NCD. If she has 2 policies, she can get NCD on each but unless the company is happy to take your son on later, on the grounds that he has been a named driver as fozzy said, he won't be building any NCD.

Guest chris brown
Have you tried having it in his name with your wife as a named driver - it makes a huge difference to his premium - and HE builds up NCD.

I would go with what Geoff says. Not only is he building up his own NCD but unless your wife is the main driver with him as the occasional driver you can find the insurers can get out of paying out on any claim. It also means the car will have to be in a low insurance group (not a bad thing for the first year or two IMHO)