Steering Column Bush

Guest Crispy Beef

Guest Crispy Beef

Hi All,

Have had my steering column fitted for some time now and wanted to check something out before I go any further. The bush that is shown in the video, which side does the plastic disc face, the drivers' or the engines'? From what I could see in the video and the way he described it, it sounds like the plastic disc (that fits into the rubber) goes in on the engine side, but that doesn't make sense to me, would have thought it went in on the other side.

Just thought I'd check with you guys.

Geoff

The bush in my kit was different than the one you have described, I think you are describing the Ford original.

Crispy :huh:

I fitted the plastic ring on the drivers side. But it makes no difference as far as I can see as there is only rotary movement. Fitting it from the engine side would make future removal more difficult.

But the bloody bush squeeks....how do we stop that ekk ekk ekk :angry: :(

Dave

PS Mick that name :wacko:

Guest Crispy Beef

Hehe, yeah I get that squeek too...

I currently have it so the inner plastic ring is pushed into the rubber grommet from the engine side, making it easier to get the whole thing out in the future. Other than the squeek it seems to be doing what it's supposed to. It's basically assembled similar to Geoffs' diagram.

I was just thinking that if the ring was on the drivers side then it would be a smoother movement as it'd be plastic against plastic, instead of plastic against rubber.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought. I've been told that lolocost do an insert that tilts the bush upwards slightly so that it stops popping out. Not sure how relevant this is for the different models but on the monocoque chassis the firewall is vertical and the steering column isn't. So the insert tilts the bush up so it runs parallel to the steering column.

Andy